Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Blueberry and Strawberry Muffins

A few years ago I found a blueberry muffin recipe that I fell in love with and have been using ever since.  It's called To Die For Blueberry muffins and was submitted by Colleen on allrecipes.com.  The muffin base is thick so that the berries don't all fall to the bottom and I love the streusel topping.

I've been wanting to try the recipe with something other than blueberries.  I had some strawberries lying around and some blueberries, so I decided to make strawberry and blueberry muffins.  I love the color combination.  The muffins came out very yummy.

When I combined the fruit in a bowl, I loved the combination of colors.  It looked so beautiful!  It looked even prettier once in the batter.  Unfortunately, I wasn't able to capture how pretty it looked due to my poor kitchen lighting.

Here is the recipe adopted by Colleen at allrecipes.com.  I've tried variations to the recipe based on comments and reviews on allrecipes, but I still prefer the original recipe.

Yields: 8-12 muffins

• 1 cup fresh strawberries, chopped to small cubes
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup butter, cubed
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease muffin cups or line with muffin liners.

2. Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, 3/4 cup sugar, salt and baking powder. Place
    vegetable oil into a 1 cup measuring cup; add the egg and enough milk
    to fill the cup. Mix this with flour mixture. Fold in blueberries and strawberries. Fill
    muffin cups right to the top, and sprinkle with crumb topping mixture.

3. To Make Crumb Topping: Mix together 1/2 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, 1/4
    cup butter, and 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon. Mix with fork, and sprinkle
    over muffins before baking.

4. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until done.

Normally I like to make the muffins over-sized.  I made them a bit smaller this time, so some of them were a bit flat.

33 Responses to “Blueberry and Strawberry Muffins”

cuddlebug — October 24, 2011 @ 3:59 pm

gonna try them… sound yummy :)

jen — November 4, 2011 @ 9:31 am

I made the muffins as written, i found the batter too dense added 1/2 cup applesauce yummy

• Kirbie replied: — November 4th, 2011 @ 9:52 am

The batter is pretty dense, but that also helps keep the berries from falling. I don’t think it tastes too dense once it bakes. It is more muffin than cake, but I still like it. Good to know that it still works with apple sauce

Terrie — February 15, 2012 @ 11:09 pm

Fantastic recipe! They turned out great and the fruit didn’t sink to the bottom like usual :)

• Kirbie replied: — February 16th, 2012 @ 1:49 pm

That;s my favorite part about this recipe. The batter is thick enough so the fruits don’t sink down

Laura — February 25, 2012 @ 7:47 pm

Loved them…. My family loved them, they were so good. And loved the way the fruit was spread all through the muffin. Great taste in every bite. Most defenetly be doing these again

• Kirbie replied: — February 26th, 2012 @ 9:24 am

This is my go-to blueberry muffin recipe. I’ve never really found a desire to try other ones.

Sarah — April 8, 2012 @ 6:48 am

Just made these for Easter! Absolutely delicious! The crunchy topping was great!

• Kirbie replied: — April 8th, 2012 @ 11:31 pm

The crunchy topping is addicting! Definitely my favorite part.

Mary — January 15, 2013 @ 6:45 pm

Just out of the oven, can’t wait, smell awesome and baked up perfectly. Thank you!

• Kirbie replied: — January 16th, 2013 @ 12:06 am

Your comment is making me crave these. I need to make them again. haha!

Anne-Marie — March 2, 2013 @ 2:41 am

I love this recipe, simple but delicious. Thank you from me and my Dad! Everytime he visits i whip him up a batch of these, and he loves them. Today I’m trying something different pineapple and blueberry. Will let you know if they are a success!

• Kirbie replied: — March 3rd, 2013 @ 9:34 pm

Oh pineapple and blueberry, I’ve never tried that combo. Sounds interesting. Glad you like the recipe!

Anne-Marie — March 27, 2013 @ 9:27 am

Well better late than never… i can confirm that the blueberry and pineapple combo went down very well with my pops : )

• Kirbie replied: — March 27th, 2013 @ 10:09 am

Thanks for letting me know! I will definitely try it out next time I have some fresh pineapples and blueberries

Nina — April 1, 2013 @ 1:04 pm

I just made these for my dad’s birthday. I cut the sugar because he’s on the brink of being a diabetic. I substituted frozen blueberries for fresh and it worked really well. The muffins came out amazing! This was my first time making muffins and it was a breeze. Thanks for the recipe =)

• Kirbie replied: — April 1st, 2013 @ 1:26 pm

I’m so glad you enjoyed this recipe!

Kathryn — April 11, 2013 @ 5:53 pm

This was my first time making any kind of fruity muffins, but I had some blueberries and strawberries at home that needed to be used/eaten soon, so I searched for a recipe and found this one! They turned out great! We love them! Thanks for sharing!

• Kirbie replied: — April 12th, 2013 @ 10:27 am

This is my favorite berry muffin recipe. So glad you like it.

vsoko — April 14, 2013 @ 6:49 pm

I just made these this evening. They were delicious and were just what I needed for all of my extra berries!

• Kirbie replied: — April 15th, 2013 @ 8:23 am

Glad you enjoyed the recipe!

Julie P — May 19, 2013 @ 5:57 am

I needed to use some strawberries that were turning, and had frozen blueberries, so I tried these. They turned our pretty good, but I think my oven’s temp may be off, because they turned out really dark, and I only had them in for 20 min, in a stoneware pan (which usually takes longer). Because of the brown-ness, they ended up looking like bran muffins. LOL It’s okay, though, because they still taste great!

• Kirbie replied: — May 19th, 2013 @ 7:22 am

Glad they stll turned out okay even though they were very dark. Not quite sure why they were dark. I guess try lowering the temp next time and maybe putting them on a lower shelf of the oven?

kim — June 8, 2013 @ 12:18 pm

Can’t wait to try these. My 12 year old daughter and I are fixing to take them out of the oven. They look and smell delicious.

• Kirbie replied: — June 9th, 2013 @ 8:56 am

Hope you enjoy! This is a recipe I always use for berry muffins

Natalie Page — July 5, 2013 @ 8:01 pm

I added a frozen mix of blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries. They worked out perfect. They were awesome. The crumb topping is amazing. Thank you for posting this recipe!

• Kirbie replied: — July 6th, 2013 @ 6:15 am

I’m so glad you like it!

Shirlene — September 30, 2013 @ 12:19 pm

I made these on Sunday, and they were PERFECT! Thank you!

• Kirbie replied: — September 30th, 2013 @ 9:37 pm

Ooh, yours came out very pretty!

Alex — October 31, 2013 @ 11:07 am

I really wanna try these! This is a dumb question, but do you use fresh blueberries and strawberries or frozen berries?

• Kirbie replied: — October 31st, 2013 @ 11:19 am

I use fresh but frozen should work too

Shannon — February 9, 2014 @ 3:09 pm

I was looking for a way to use up the strawberries and blueberries in our fridge before they went bad. These came out perfect!! My kids obliterated them in about 10 minutes. My youngest son said I should open up a store to sell muffins lol! Def keeping this recipe…. Thanks!

• Kirbie replied: — February 10th, 2014 @ 1:56 am

Yay! I love this recipe, so glad to hear that others do as well. I’m happy your kids loved it!