Monday, February 22, 2010

Green Onion Pancakes

I’ve been wanting to try to make my own green onion pancakes for a while now, ever since I found a recipe on Gaga in the Kitchen a few months back. Every time I planned on making them I always seemed to run out of time. This weekend, we had a belated Chinese New Year celebration and I was determined to make them.

Green onion pancakes (cong you bing), is a savory Chinese dish.  It’s doughy, with several layers, and has the taste of oil and onions mixed with the dough. The pancake is pan fried, creating a crispy exterior and a chewy interior.

I got a lot of help from Baby Bro and Baby Bro’s Girlfriend with making the pancakes.  They ended up coming out really tasty.  Definitely better than the frozen or ready-made store bought ones.  And they weren’t too hard to make.

Green Onion Pancakes (Adapted from Gaga in the Kitchen)

Makes approx 8-10 pancakes

Ingredients

• 4 cups All purpose flour
  • 2 cups boiling water
  • Oil (vegetable and sesame oil)
  • Salt
  • About 1 1/2 cup Green onions (diced)
  • Directions

1. Mix
    the flour and water together with a large wooden spoon.  Once combined, knead by hand until a nice dough is formed.
    If the dough is too sticky, add a little more flour.  If too dry, add a little more water. Knead the dough for a few minutes, so that you will have a good chewy texture for the pancake.

2. Take a small piece of dough (about the size of your fist) and
    roll it out as thin as possible. The shape doesn’t matter.

3. Drizzle some oil and rub it in with your hands so that the entire
    surface is lightly covered, but there are no pools of oil in any one
    spot. Gaga said she uses a combo of vegetable oil and sesame oil. Because sesame oil is so strong, we used about a 4:1 ratio of vegetable oil to sesame oil.  Don’t be stingy on the oil or your pancakes will be too dry.  Make sure there is a nice thin layer on each one, and make sure it is spread across the whole dough.

4. Sprinkle some salt evenly across the dough. Then sprinkle on the diced green onions. It’s up to your personal preference how much you like.

5. Roll the dough into a long rope. It’s okay if oil and onions squish out the sides. Coil that rope into a circle.

6. Flatten the circle with your hand and then use rolling pin to roll out the pancake and thin it to your desired thickness. Ours we about 1/4 inch thick.

7. In a pan, heat up a bit of oil over medium/low heat. Put your pancake on heated pan and let it cook until golden brown, and then flip to crisp the
    other side.

8.  Serve pancakes while still warm and crisp.

18 Responses to “Green Onion Pancakes”

BNDQ8 — February 22, 2010 @ 7:34 am

those look super delicious!!maybe a nice earthy dip with that and yummm!! a definate try for this weekend :)

mbe — February 22, 2010 @ 8:35 am

these look fantastic! used to have them for breakfast in china and your post is making me mighty hungry. I love the step by step shots too.

Bread and Beta — February 22, 2010 @ 9:02 am

This reminds me of snack-time in China! Thank you for the step by step photos. They seem surprisingly easy to make; can’t wait to try this out.

Kirbie — February 22, 2010 @ 9:49 am

They taste great by themselves, with a dip, or even used as a wrap (putting meat or something inside)

Kirbie — February 22, 2010 @ 9:51 am

I eat them a lot when I go to Taiwan. I’m glad you enjoy the photos. I thought it was something that needed more explanation than just words.

Kirbie — February 22, 2010 @ 9:51 am

I was surprised at how easy they were to make too! This is my first attempt at making any sort of chinese dough product and I was really happy with the turn out.

Faye — February 22, 2010 @ 11:17 am

Yeeesss!! Nicely done! Your method is the exact way my grams taught me how to make this dish. Did you use American all purpose flour? Or the asian one from 99ranch? Did you find the dough hard to flatten out? That was my biggest issue – trying to make it as thin as possible. Yours looks so good and yummy! Great tutorial!

Baby Bro — February 22, 2010 @ 11:36 am

flattening it out wasn’t a problem as long as the water is hot when the dough is mixed, making it a lot easier to work with. Also, sprinkle the surface you’re working with with some flour so the dough doesn’t stick to the table or roller and break. At first i was afraid of smushing the pancakes too badly after putting the green onion inside (they start squirting out and breaking through the dough), but everything turns out ok after they go in the frying pan! :)
        our sausage ones were delicious too when we ran out of onions.

oana — February 22, 2010 @ 12:43 pm

The kneading is made a LOT easier by doing the first steps in the food processor (I use 1 cup boiling water for 3 cups of flour, then add a bit more cold water if needed).

Kirbie — February 23, 2010 @ 12:16 pm

We used American all purpose flour. Flattening out wasn’t a problem..I wonder why it was for you.

Kirbie — February 23, 2010 @ 12:16 pm

Thanks for the tip. I’ll have to try that next time.

m3 real karte — February 23, 2010 @ 9:09 pm

Hello
        I have never tasted Green onion pancake.I always eat pancake which is sweet in taste so most of its made with fruits or vegetables.This is new for me so I will try for this.Thank you..

Online Dating Streamlines Rejection For Women — October 16, 2010 @ 10:51 am

[...] Green Onion Pancakes | Kirbie Cravings [...]

Green onion/scallion pancakes | Kirbie Cravings — October 20, 2010 @ 12:26 pm

[...] GF had previously helped make green onion pancakes after I found an easy recipe, which can be found here. They were pretty enjoyable, but I wanted to see if we could refine our technique to get a better [...]

Connie — December 29, 2010 @ 11:01 am

Oh yum. I always wondered how these were made, it looks easy enough to make at home! Just wondering when you would add the salt? Do you add it to the flour before mixing in boiling water or do you sprinkle the surface after rolling it thin and topping with oil?

• Kirbie replied: — December 29th, 2010 @ 12:23 pm

You sprinkle the salt on the surface of the thin dough. Sorry about that! I updated the directions.

happy new year! | Sweet Dreaming — January 24, 2012 @ 3:45 am

[...] sort of recipe, a skill that I have yet to learn. I found a similar description of the process on Kirbie’s Cravings that looks just about right. All you need is flour, vegetable oil, green onions (scallions), and [...]

Chinese Scallion Pancakes Recipe | Around the World Food & Recipes — February 17, 2012 @ 6:49 am

[...] via [...]