I recently bought Vanilla Bean Paste, which is a mixture of vanilla extract and vanilla beans. I like how it gives the vanilla bean flecks without costing as much as real vanilla beans. After I bought my vanilla bean paste, I immediately wanted to make some vanilla bean cupcakes.
I used a vanilla bean cupcake recipe from Annie’s Eats. The cupcakes came out nice and fluffy. I did expect a stronger vanilla taste with the use of the vanilla paste, but I didn’t really get that from these.
For the frosting, I dipped them in a thin layer of chocolate ganache. I then added some cute little sugar flowers I bought from my local baking supply store, Do It With Icing.
I liked these cupcakes, but I didn’t love them. Perhaps I’m just not a vanilla cupcakes type of girl. I might try this recipe again with sour cream instead because I’ve found that sour cream seems to add an even more fluffier moist batter than buttermilk. Or perhaps I’ll add more vanilla paste next time.
The recipe was a bit too much as written so I ended up reducing it.
Vanilla Bean Cupcakes (adapted from Annie’s Eats)
Yield: Approx 15 cupcakes
1 1/2 cups cake flour
1/2 tbsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
8 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 tbsp. vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350° F. Line cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the cake flour, baking powder and
salt. Whisk together and set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, add in the softened butter (you can stick it in the microwave to soften) and the vanilla bean paste and beat with electric mixer, until light and creamy in color.
3. Add the sugar to the butter mixture. Mix in the eggs one at a time until incorporated.
4. Combine the buttermilk and the vanilla extract in a liquid measuring
cup. With the mixer on low speed, add the dry ingredients alternately
with the wet ingredients.
5. Divide the batter between the prepared paper liners, filling each
about 2/3 of the way full. Bake 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in
the center comes out clean.
Chocolate Ganache Frosting
1 cup heavy cream
8 oz dark chocolate, chopped
1. Heat heavy cream in a small pot. Once it begins to boil, remove from the stove.
2. Pour heavy cream into bowl of chopped chocolate. Stir and mix until chocolate is completely melted.
3. Dip tops of cupcakes into the chocolate ganache.