I saw some pistachio cupcakes from Annie’s Eats that really caught my eye. I love pistachio and I loved how she decorated her cupcakes with chocolate ganache and a sprinkle of chopped pistachio nuts.
I wanted to make them this weekend, but I didn’t have all the ingredients I needed. I did come across another pistachio cupcake recipe by Two Tiny Kitchens which uses a pistachio pudding mix and a white cake mix. It just so happened that I’ve had a box of Jello pistachio pudding mix sitting in my cupboard for quite a while and I’ve been trying to figure out what to do with it. I also had a Pillsbury white cake mix box in my cupboard because I always keep a few cake mixes for emergencies or to make cake mix cookies. So I decided to make the pistachio pudding cupcakes and use the decoration idea of Annie’s Eats.
The pistachio pudding cupcake mix is easy to put together as you start with a white cake mix. I altered the recipe slightly, adding some sour cream, milk and reducing the amount of oil. As promised by Two Tiny Kitchens, the cupcakes came out super moist. I also liked the pale green color.
The cupcakes were moist and fluffy, but they did definitely still taste like cake mix cupcakes. I don’t mean to sound like a snob, but ever since I’ve started baking from scratch, it’s hard for me to eat cake mix cakes. There’s still a few that I love, like Pillsbury funfetti cake, but a lot of them have a cake mix taste to them that I don’t seem to enjoy as much anymore. I liked these, but I didn’t love them.
They were quick to whip up though. And I was in a rush when making them so something quick was what I needed. My chocolate ganache topping was also a bit rushed because I was in a rush. I dipped each cupcake top with chocolate ganache and then chopped up some pistachios to garnish the tops.
Pistachio Pudding Cupcakes
- 1 pkg white cake mix I used Pillsbury
- 1 pkg instant pistachio pudding mix I used Jello brand
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 4 oz bittersweet chocolate finely chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Mix all ingredients and beat at medium speed for about 5 minutes. Pour batter into cupcake tins about 2/3 full and bake for 18-22 minutes.
- To make the ganache, heat heavy cream in a small pot. Be careful to not let it boil over. Once it begins to boil, remove from the stove.
- Pour heavy cream into bowl of chopped chocolate. Stir and mix until chocolate is completely melted.
- Let ganache cool for a few minutes before dipping cupcake tops until cupcakes have a smooth layer of ganache covering the tops.
- Chop some pistachios to add as garnish on top of the ganache
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.