These pistachio cupcakes are easy to make with two simple shortcuts: cake mix and instant pudding mix. Plus, you only need one bowl to make the batter. The fluffy cupcakes are topped with chocolate ganache and chopped pistachios for a pretty presentation.
I was recently browsing cupcake recipes and found some pistachio cupcakes from Everyday Annie that I couldn’t wait to make. Unfortunately, I didn’t have all of the ingredients on hand but I did find another recipe from Two Tiny Kitchens which calls for white cake mix and pistachio pudding mix. I had both of those in my pantry so I decided to use that recipe, but decorate them like I saw on Everyday Annie.
I always have cake mix on hand because I like to make easy desserts like cake mix cookies and mug cakes so I was excited to try the pistachio cupcakes. The recipe is really easy, but I did make a few adjustments by adding sour cream and a little milk. I love adding sour cream to cake recipes because it adds a lot of moisture so you don’t need as much oil.
The pistachio pudding cupcake mix is easy to put together as you start with a white cake mix. I altered the recipe slightly, adding some sour cream, milk and reducing the amount of oil. As promised by Two Tiny Kitchens, the cupcakes came out super moist. I also liked the pale green color.
I thought these turned out pretty good and they’re a great dessert to make if you don’t have a lot of time. I think making pistachio cupcakes from scratch might be even better because you can tell that these were made with cake mix. But, that’s okay if you want something easier.
- 1 box of white cake mix (I used Pillsbury)
- 1 box of instant pistachio pudding mix
- Sour cream
I love that you only need one bowl to make the batter. Just combine all of the ingredients and beat them together for five minutes. Pour the batter into your prepared muffin pan filling each mold about 2/3 full with batter.
Baked them for 18 to 22 minutes and then let them cool before you frost them.
I dipped the top of each cupcake in a simple ganache made with chocolate and heavy cream. I also garnished them with chopped pistachios as decoration.
If you like pistachio flavor and want a really simple cupcake this is a good recipe to try. I hope you enjoy it!
More Easy Recipes
Pistachio Pudding Cupcakes
- 1 pkg white cake mix I used Pillsbury
- 1 pkg instant pistachio pudding mix I used Jello brand
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 4 oz bittersweet chocolate finely chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Mix all ingredients and beat at medium speed for about 5 minutes. Pour batter into cupcake tins about 2/3 full and bake for 18-22 minutes.
- To make the ganache, heat heavy cream in a small pot. Be careful to not let it boil over. Once it begins to boil, remove from the stove.
- Pour heavy cream into bowl of chopped chocolate. Stir and mix until chocolate is completely melted.
- Let ganache cool for a few minutes before dipping cupcake tops until cupcakes have a smooth layer of ganache covering the tops.
- Chop some pistachios to add as garnish on top of the ganache
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.