This single serving chocolate mug cake uses cake mix and cooks in the microwave in just one minute. No need for eggs, oil, or having to make an entire cake.
Because some days you only have enough time and energy to make a cake mix cake.
I’ve spent the last few years sharing many mug cake recipes that are pretty quick and easy, but they are all from-scratch cakes that require several ingredients. The most common issue that people seem to have when they want to make one of my mug cakes is that they are missing an ingredient, especially baking powder. However, most people do have cake mix on hand.
I had some leftover cake mix and I was wondering what to do with it when it occurred to me to try making a mug cake with the cake mix. I’ve used it to make chewy chocolate cookies before so why not a mug cake?
To my surprise, when I did a little research online to see if such recipes existed, most of the mug cakes that used cake mix also required oil, water and a fraction of an egg. Or they would require using other not as common ingredients like angel cake mix.
I was convinced there must be a way to make the mug cake without the egg because no one likes dealing with a fraction of an egg.
After several trials (I actually finished all the leftover cake mix and had to open a new one), I finally made a few versions that I’m happy with. This chocolate mug cake is soft, fluffy and moist. It does have a little bit looser crumb since there is no egg acting as a binding agent, but if you are eating it in a mug, this shouldn’t be an issue.
I don’t usually like to make cake mix cakes, but this is a quick way to satisfy your cake cravings without a lot of work or clean-up. Do you have an air fryer? You should check out my Air Fryer Cake Mix Mug Cake, too. I’ve also made a Cake Mix Lava Cake inspired by this recipe! You can check also find the rest of my mug cake recipes here.
Find all my recipe videos on my youtube page.
3 Ingredient Chocolate Cake Mix Mug Cake
- 6 tbsp chocolate cake mix (see note)
- 1 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tbsp semisweet chocolate chips optional
- In a microwave-safe mug, add cake mix, water and applesauce. Mix with a mini whisk until batter is smooth. If using chocolate chips, add and stir in 1 tbsp into the batter. Sprinkle remaining over top of the batter.
- Cook in the microwave at full power for 1 minute. Allow cake to cool a few minutes before eating.
- I tested this with Pillsbury and Betty Crocker cake mixes.
- I know some people might not keep applesauce on hand,but I found that it really helped keep the cake super moist and also helped bind it together better. If you don't have applesauce on hand, you can use 2 tbsp water and 1/2 tbsp oil (instead of the water and applesauce amounts listed). The cake stays moist but the crumb is quite loose which is why I prefer the applesauce version.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.