Friday, November 26, 2010

Sweet Potato Muffins

I love sweet potatoes and wanted a sweet potato dessert on my Thanksgiving table this year. So last week, I was trying out a lot of different sweet potato recipes, including these sweet potato muffins.

Sometimes I try muffin recipes which are really more like cupcakes disguised as muffins. These are definitely real muffins and would make a good breakfast. They aren’t too sweet and the batter puffs up rather than sinking back down like cupcakes.

These sweet potato muffins use a lot of maple syrup, but I couldn’t really taste the maple syrup unfortunately. I skipped the glaze when I made these muffins, but next time I might make them with the glaze.

Sweet potato muffins (adapted from Sweet Pea’s Kitchen)

Ingredients

1 cup sweet potato puree
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 large egg
3/4 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup dried cranberries

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line muffin cups with muffin liners.

2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, baking powder, salt, nutmeg; set aside.

3. In a separate bowl, whisk in egg and melted butter until smooth. Add in puree. Whisk in maple syrup, milk. Stir in flour mixture with a wooden spoon only until moistened. Add in the dried cranberries.

4. Fill prepared muffin cups 3/4 full. Bake in preheated oven 18-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center of muffin comes out clean.

10 Responses to “Sweet Potato Muffins”

Lauren at KeepItSweet — November 27, 2010 @ 8:53 am

great way to use up leftover sweet potatoes!!

• Kirbie replied: — November 27th, 2010 @ 11:29 am

You’re right! I actually didn’t even think about leftovers, but I do have some leftover so I’ll probably use them to make these.

Jenn@eatcakefordinner — November 27, 2010 @ 8:50 pm

I wish I would have seen this post a few hours ago. I was looking for something to make with my leftover sweet potato puree I had from Thanksgiving, but I ended up trying out some sweet potato yeast rolls. You let them sit in the fridge overnight, then roll them out in the morning, so I haven’t tasted them yet, but I do still have 1/2 cup sweet potato puree left, I guess I could try a half batch of these muffins. I love cutting eggs in half – LOL!! Did you use pancake syrup or real maple syrup?

• Kirbie replied: — November 28th, 2010 @ 9:53 am

I used real maple syrup. First time doing so, so I was sad the taste sort of got lost. Halving eggs is always interesting..

Christina @ Sweet Pea's Kitchen — November 30, 2010 @ 10:00 am

Mmmm! These look great! I am so happy that you enjoyed them! I love the addition of the cranberries. I will have to make these again with the cranberries! :)

• Kirbie replied: — November 30th, 2010 @ 1:55 pm

I liked the addition of cranberries. It added a nice color to them and works well with the sweet potatoes. Thanks for providing such a great recipe!

Alex — July 13, 2012 @ 5:41 pm

You never said when to add in the puree!

• Kirbie replied: — July 13th, 2012 @ 8:10 pm

So so sorry! The puree goes with the other wet ingredients. I just changed it now.

Jerrine — July 8, 2013 @ 10:54 pm

How many does this make?

• Kirbie replied: — July 9th, 2013 @ 8:25 am