Pepperoni Garlic Knots
I’ve been wanting to try my hand at pepperoni garlic knots ever since tasting a version at Jersey Joe’s Pizzeria. It’s such a simple idea, but adding pepperoni to garlic knots really raise them to a whole new level.
I couldn’t quite figure out how to make the spiral design of the ones I previously ate. Below is a picture of the ones I got at the pizzeria. The way I tried to make them, I took a small piece of dough and piled it with mini pepperonis. Then I took a dough rope and wrapped it around a few times. Looking again at the version I ate, I think they just used a long rope and spiraled it and then stuffed the inside with pepperonis because it doesn’t have the extra dough layer mine has. I’ll have to fiddle with the design some more.
These tasted pretty good. Next time I might try using a fluffier dough recipe. I used a pizza crust dough for these, which was fine, but I actually prefer my garlic knots to have a more soft and fluffy dough rather than the chewier and denser typical pizza crust dough.
Garlic knots are delicious, but pepperoni garlic knots are even better. I don’t think I can go back to regular garlic knots again after this.
Pepperoni Garlic Knots
* 1 1/2 cups warm water (105°F)
* 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
* 3 1/2 cups bread flour
* 2 Tbsp olive oil
* 2 teaspoons salt
* 1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 cup mini pepperoni slices
1 tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 tbsp butter
1 tsp garlic powder
1 clove fresh garlic, chopped into small pieces
2 tsp fresh parsley, chopped
1. Pour warm water into mixing bowl of stand mixer. Sprinkle yeast on top and let rest for about 5 minutes. Add in flour, 2 tbsp olive oil, salt and sugar. Mix with dough hook attachment on medium speed for about 10 minutes until dough is elastic and can be removed from bowl easily.
2. Pour a small amount of oil into a glass bowl and place dough ball inside. Place plastic wrap on top to cover glass bowl. Let dough rise for about 1 hour until doubled in size.
3. Divide dough into 14 pieces. Take one piece of dough. Remove a small chunk, about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Take the rest of that piece of dough and roll out into a rope about 9 inches long. Place about 5-6 pieces of mini pepperoni slices onto the dough chunk. Then take the rope and wrap around the chunk about three times, leaving some space between each spiral.
4. Preheat oven to 425 F. Place knots on baking sheet lined with parchment paper, about 1 inch apart. Bake about 15 minutes until they turn golden brown on top.
5. While the knots are baking, mix all the garlic coating ingredients into a bowl (except parsley) and microwave for about 1 minute. Stir ingredients together.
6. When knots are done, toss them into the garlic mixture to coat. Then sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley
All images and content are © Kirbie's Cravings.
Did you make this recipe?
Share it on instagram with the hashtag #kirbiecravings!