Chocolate pumpkin cookies are an easy pumpkin cookies recipe with cake mix that you only need three ingredients to make. The cookies are fudgy with a soft and cakey texture.
Once I started baking with pumpkin puree, I realized you can use it as a substitute for oil, butter, and even eggs in recipes. So, now I am using it to make really easy recipes like these chocolate pumpkin cookies.
It works really great when you combine it with cake mix. I’ve seen a few recipes for a two-ingredient pumpkin cake that uses pumpkin puree and yellow cake mix only and I wondered if I could do the same thing to make chocolate cookies with cake mix, but with the added pumpkin to give them a fall twist.
I was inspired by a cake recipe using yellow cake mix and pumpkin that I found on Never Turn Down a Cupcake. But, instead of yellow, I used a chocolate cake mix and instead of making a cake, I made cookies.
These chocolate pumpkin cookies came out great. They are fudgy with a soft texture. What I like best is that the pumpkin flavor really comes through and pairs nicely with the chocolate.
- You will need a chocolate fudge cake mix. It has a rich flavor that makes up for the fact that there is no other added fat and dairy in the recipe to add flavor.
- You will also need one can of pumpkin puree.
- I also added chocolate chips.
Mix the cake mix and pumpkin in a large bowl. The dough will be pretty thick. Once it’s smooth, stir in the chocolate chips.
Use an ice cream scoop to drop the dough onto a prepared baking sheet. Space them 1 inch apart. The dough is sticky, so you can’t really shape the dough balls.
Bake them for 10 to 15 minutes at 350°F. You can tell when they are done when they easily slide on the parchment paper without sticking to it.
One ingredient I wish I had added is cinnamon, so I’ve included it as optional in the recipe card.
The cookies aren’t as rich as other cookies I’ve made in the past, but I think that’s expected when you have so few ingredients. They are soft, cakey, fudgy, and with a strong pumpkin flavor. I like how easy they are to make.
More Chocolate Cookie Recipes
- Crinkle Cookies
- Chewy Double Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies
- No-Bake Chocolate Cookies
- Pumpkin M&M Chocolate Cookies
Three ingredient chocolate pumpkin cookies
- 1 box chocolate fudge cake mix
- 1 (15-oz) can pumpkin puree
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 tsp cinnamon optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Mix cake mix and pumpkin puree (and cinnamon if using) in a bowl of a stand mixer until the batter is smooth. The batter will be quite thick. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Line cookie sheet with parchment paper. Using an ice cream scoop, scoop dough batter and place onto cookie sheet, spread 1 inch apart. The batter will be quite sticky so you can't really shape the cookies.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until cookies can be moved off parchment paper without sticking to bottom.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.