Okay, I have to admit, I’m pretty proud of these. Aren’t they so cute with their swirl of avocado buttercream frosting? I’ve seen several chocolate cake and chocolate brownie recipes topped with avocado buttercream frosting over the years, so when I was coming up with ways to use up my avocados I knew I wanted to try making either cupcakes or brownies with avocado frosting.
Usually the ones I see just smear the frosting on the top. I originally did that, but I didn’t think it looked so pretty and I suddenly got the idea to pipe a swirl on top of each brownie piece inside. I couldn’t get over just how nice they turned out.
I think it’s kind of funny that people make avocado brownies which hides the avocado flavor, only to then top it with avocado frosting. I was originally going to try out a recipe I came across, but realized I didn’t have a few of the ingredients the recipe called for. So instead, I tried to make my own recipe. I also made my own frosting.
I haven’t made many brownies from scratch before, so it was a little difficult for me to try making an avocado one. The brownie itself came out really light. I would have preferred a much fudgier and richer brownie. On it’s own it was too light for my taste, but after I ate it with the avocado frosting it was the right amount of richness. Of course I’m still going to try to make a fudgier avocado brownie for next time but these were really good when eaten with the frosting.
I had some trouble making an avocado buttercream frosting too. Most of the recipes called for only powdered sugar and mashed avocado. My frosting simply did not mix up to my liking. I was also having trouble completely mashing the avocado. So I decided to add some heavy cream to my mixture and stick it in my blender. The liquid from the heavy cream allowed the blender to completely mash the avocado so no chunks remained. The heavy cream also stiffens up the frosting, making it a hybrid frosting that is part buttercream and part whipped cream. It tasted perfect to me and quite delicious on it’s own.
Avocado Brownies with Avocado Frosting
1/2 cup mashed avocado
3/4 cup butter
4 oz unsweetened chocolate
2 cups sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup flour
For the frosting:
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1 ripe avocado
1/2 cup heavy cream
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Microwave the chocolate and the butter for 2 minutes until the butter melts. Stir the mixture with a large wooden spoon until the chocolate melts and mixture becomes smooth.
2. Stir in sugar, eggs, mashed avocado and vanilla and mix until smooth. Stir in flour and mix until batter is smooth.
3. Pour the brownie batter into a greased 9 x 13 pan. Bake the brownies for about 20 minutes until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
4. While brownies are cooling, make the frosting. Add avocado, sugar and heavy cream into blender and blend on high speed until batter is smooth, no avocado pieces remain and frosting is stiff enough for piping (it is still not as stiff as your typical buttercream of whipped cream frosting, but it should be stiff enough to hold a piped swirl).
5. After brownies are cooled, cut into squares and pipe with frosting.