Ube Chiffon Cake

My mother requested I make a chiffon cake for her a few weeks ago. Since my brother had driven down for the weekend, I was able to make and it and have him bring it back to her.

I decided to play around with a new one and work with ube again, which I haven’t done in a while. Ube is a purple yam used a lot in Filipino desserts.  I love the light pinkish purple color of the cake from the ube.

Appearance-wise, this cake was the best chiffon I’ve made to date. It came out in one piece from the pan without any parts getting stuck. It rose evenly all around.

Taste-wise, it was slightly dry. I think it was a combination of too much ube paste and not enough liquid in the batter, and also I think I overbaked it by a few minutes. My previous avocado chiffon cake, I had underbaked it slightly, so this time I tried to overcompensate.

Next time I’ll add a little less ube, or add a few tablespoons of milk. I’ll also take it out of the oven a little sooner.

I still love how it looks though and I like that this recipe has a thinner chiffon cake skin. The older recipes I used developed a thicker brown layer which I didn’t like as much since it isn’t as light and airy as the rest of the cake.

Print Print Save Save

Ube Chiffon Cake

70g mashed ube (you can use frozen grated ube and turn it into paste in food processor or use powdered ube and mix it with water to become an ube paste)
3 egg yolks
50g white sugar
1/8 tsp salt
45ml canola oil
4 tbs water
85g cake flour
4 egg whites
50g white sugar
1/2 tsp cream of tartar

1. Preheat the oven to 350F.

2. In a medium bowl, beat the egg whites, 50 g white sugar and cream of tartar until stiff and glossy peaks formed. You should be able to hold your bowl upside down without the egg whites falling out.

3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, the rest of the white sugar, salt, water and oil until combined.

4. Add the ube mash and beat until blended and smooth. Gradually sift in the flour and beat in mixer until smooth.

5. Take about half of the egg white mixture and fold it into the batter (stir in the same clockwise motion with a spatula) until no egg white streaks remain. Then add in the remaining egg whites and fold until no streaks remain.

6. Pour the batter into the ungreased 7 inch angel cakepan.

7. Put cake in oven and bake for about 25-30 minutes until the cake’s surface is golden brown. When you touch the cake it should spring back.

8. Remove cake from the oven and revert the cake pan upside down on top of a plate to finish cooling and rising. Cake should still remain in the pan.

9. When the cake is completely cooled, gently run a plastic knife around the rim of the cake and then remove cake from pan.

22 Responses to “Ube Chiffon Cake”

1. Jinxi — September 25, 2012 at 10:26 am

I love the color, too. Such a pretty shade of purple! (And really matches your blog banner hehe). Is ube the same thing as taro? I always thought they were the same thing.

• Kirbie replied: — September 25th, 2012 @ 10:32 am

No they are not the same thing. Though a lot of times you’ll see a label that says ube (taro) or something which I think is why people think it’s the same. But they taste and look totally different. Ube is a deep purple shade and has a rougher texture.

2. Jinxi — September 25, 2012 at 8:27 pm

Oh I know why I keep confusing the two.. in Chinese, taro is yu tou (??) and ube is xiang yu (??), and I just thought the “yu” means they’re the same.. oops!

• Kirbie replied: — September 25th, 2012 @ 11:47 pm

Oh thanks for the lesson! I actually didn’t know the chinese word for ube since I never knew what ube was until I started eating Filipino food.

3. saraht — September 25, 2012 at 9:46 pm

hi, i was wondering – we have plain flour or self raising flour in australia, what is the Equivalent to your ‘cake flour’

• Kirbie replied: — September 25th, 2012 @ 11:46 pm

Cake flour isn’t either one. It’s closer to plain flour, but it’s a little lighter and finer. You can try using plain flour for the cake.

4. caninecologne — September 27, 2012 at 7:46 am

ube is one of my favorite flavors! the color is so pretty for this cake.

• Kirbie replied: — September 27th, 2012 @ 8:19 am

I love the color too. And I like eating ube stuff but I think it’s mainly because I like the color. haha

5. caninecologne — September 27, 2012 at 3:03 pm

i do like the taste of ube. my mom used to make this ube dessert but it takes a long time to make it, becuase you have to stir it continuously for nearly an hour! who has time for that! it involves ube, sugar, and either evap milk or condensed (i forget which one). it’s like a thick paste, when done. haven’t had it in years and am too lazy to make my own!

• Kirbie replied: — September 27th, 2012 @ 3:32 pm

Oh that sounds good, but definitely time consuming. I don’t have that kind of patience to be stirring for that long! It’s one of the reasons I haven’t made any custards yet.

6. LenA — January 10, 2013 at 5:15 pm

I have tried your Ube Chiffon Cake recipe and was really praying that it would turn out all right but it turned out very good! I actually just baked it for 23 minutes only even when the surface was not brown yet but light purple. I also added violet gel color and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla flavour and iced it with Swiss Meringue Buttercream, superb! My kids adored it!
    The first time I tried another version of the Ube Cake Recipe, I was frustrated since it turned out to be hard and nobody wanted to eat it :-( (can’t blame them though :-)
    Thanks so much for this recipe and will bake one again this weekend!

• Kirbie replied: — January 11th, 2013 @ 10:07 am

I’m so glad to hear this turned out well for you!

7. LenA — January 11, 2013 at 8:54 pm

I have baked one again this evening since the one I baked the other day was already devoured by my family and myself and still wanting more :-) Now I do not have to buy the Ube Cake from the Filipino bakery since I can now do it on my own! One more thing I loved about your recipe is it is simple and easy to follow. I am so grateful that you have shared this recipe which gave me the texture that I wanted in an ube cake. More power to you!

• Kirbie replied: — January 13th, 2013 @ 8:40 am

Thanks for this positive comment! I’m so glad to hear your results and happy you found a recipe that works for you and one that your family can enjoy often without having to buy it.

8. Carolyn — April 4, 2013 at 9:11 pm

Hi, just wondering if you made changes to your published recipe from what you started out with?–because you mentioned how your cake was a little dry and that you’d add more milk, take it out of the oven sooner, etc..

• Kirbie replied: — April 5th, 2013 @ 8:21 am

Yes, the recipe includes the modifications.

9. Lokness @ The Missing Lokness — April 11, 2013 at 7:27 am

Love taro!! Beautiful chiffon cake with amazing color. Would love to try one day when I found the taro powder or fresh taro. :)

• Kirbie replied: — April 11th, 2013 @ 8:18 am

I found the ube powder at my local Ranch 99 in their baking section

10. iya — April 24, 2013 at 9:23 am

hi, I tried it today, i strictly followed the procedure but my cake turned out to be hard not chiffon type

• Kirbie replied: — April 24th, 2013 @ 9:25 am

I’ve never had the cake turn out hard. I’m sorry, I don’t know where it went wrong without having watched you make the cake.

11. Grace — August 19, 2013 at 12:30 am

Hello! if im gonna use powdered ube, how much should i use?

• Kirbie replied: — August 20th, 2013 @ 10:38 am

You’ll want it to measure out to be the same amount as what’s stated in the recipe. Basically use the powdered one and form a paste, and then measure out the paste to be 70g (so not 70g of powder, cuz that would be too much)