The other day I was really craving mochi. I was too lazy to make an entire mochi cake, so I decided to make a quick and easy mochi mug cake. After I finished mixing the batter in my mug,  instead of cooking it in a mug, I cooked it into donut shapes, inspired by my recent trip to Mochi Cream.

While this is not meant to be a copycat recipe (though I do plan on playing with and trying to create a mochi donut similar to the ones I had at Mochi Cream), the mochi tastes so much better when they have a cute donut shape. All you will need to make the donut shape is some silicone donut molds that can be microwaved.

I had gotten a Japanese import one as a gift a while back and never had a chance to use it. It’s also available on Amazon. However, I found some other cheaper silicone molds like this one which should work just as well. They even have mini donut ones.

Each regular donut size only needed 1 minute in the microwave and out popped a pretty chocolate mochi donut. Of course you can make this in a mug too.

And if you really really want the donut shape and don’t have or want to use a microwave, you can bake mochi cake donuts using one of my mochi cake recipes.

I also threw on some chocolate glaze to make the donuts prettier. And then I added on some chocolate crunchy balls because my glaze was a little messy.

Print Print Recipe

1 Minute Microwave Chocolate Mochi Donuts

1/4 cup mochiko or glutinous rice flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp cocoa powder
2 tbsp sugar
4 tbsp milk
1 tbsp oil

1. Combine all ingredients into a mug and mix with a small whisk until batter is smooth. If using mugs to cook, split batter into two mugs and microwave each separately for about 1 minute, or until cooked. If pouring into donut molds, the batter in the mug was enough for two regular-sized donut molds to be filled about 2/3 full. Cook each separately for about 1 minute. If using smaller molds, adjust time according.
2. Once mochi cools, you can decorate with glaze and/or sprinkles.

Yum

20 Responses to “1 Minute Microwave Chocolate Mochi Donuts”

1. caninecologne — August 26, 2013 at 4:20 pm

What a neat recipe! I love the look of those mochi donuts with the crunchy chocolate spheres. Can’t wait to try making this. I just need to order some molds.

• Kirbie replied: — August 26th, 2013 @ 8:46 pm

I love how easy they are!

2. Fawn @ Cowen Park Kitchen — August 26, 2013 at 4:24 pm

Yum! These look fun. Any suggestions on how to make them without a microwave?

• Kirbie replied: — August 26th, 2013 @ 8:46 pm

As I indicated in my post, you can use one of my mochi cake recipes and bake in a donut or mini donut pan.

3. janz — September 3, 2013 at 10:59 pm

how to make the chocolate glaze?

• Kirbie replied: — September 4th, 2013 @ 12:05 pm

Do 1 cup of chopped chocolate with 1/4 cup heavy cream. Heat up the heavy cream until boiling and pour over chocolate and stir until smooth. You might need to heat the chocolate mixture slightly (about 20 sec in microwave) to get chocolate completely smooth. Dip donuts and then let glaze cool and set.

4. Cyndi — October 7, 2013 at 7:39 pm

You should make YouTube videos!

• Kirbie replied: — October 7th, 2013 @ 8:53 pm

Unfortunately videos take a long time to film and edit, so I try to avoid doing them.

5. angela — January 7, 2014 at 4:57 pm

Could you do it without the molds? Like could you shape it with cupcake liners? And if so, how much batter would you put in the liners and how long would you microwave it?

• Kirbie replied: — January 8th, 2014 @ 9:52 am

Yes as stated in the directions, you can just cook them in mugs. Each batter split into two mugs, cooked at 1 minute each. If you did paper cupcake liners, you would need something to support them, otherwise they will collapse as soon as you put batter in.

6. Korra — April 27, 2014 at 3:08 pm

accidentally used regular rice flour instead of glutinous rice flour, i didnt know there was a difference. Still came out okay though. It was more cake like than mochi.

• Kirbie replied: — April 28th, 2014 @ 9:15 pm

oh, I’m glad it still kind of worked. it will be even better if you use the glutinous rice flour next time!

7. PSerena50 — October 27, 2014 at 2:00 pm

I actually have the same exact donut mold as in your link. Would I be to fill all six molds and put it in the microwave rather than filling one mold up individually and heating it? If so, how long would I microwave it for? Can’t be for 6 minutes, one for each donut, could it?

• Kirbie replied: — October 27th, 2014 @ 3:02 pm

No, you should heat them individually. If you try to heat them all at once, they will cook unevenly and will be done at different times.

8. Aida — December 17, 2014 at 9:07 am

Great recipe! Can these be baked?

9. Rajesh — April 2, 2015 at 10:21 am

Making these donuts was fun for my daughter and i

• Kirbie replied: — April 2nd, 2015 @ 11:09 pm

that’s great!

10. farwa — February 14, 2016 at 2:59 am

if mociko flour isn’t available then can we use plain flour.

• Kirbie replied: — February 16th, 2016 @ 11:35 am

unfortunately, no. the mochi texture comes from glutinous rice flour so you need to use that