Our doughnut adventures in San Diego recently continued with a trip to Donut Haven, located in a small plaza in Hillcrest. The plaza has a small parking lot, which is always a plus when visiting somewhere in the Hillcrest area.

We came in right after brunch, but they only had a few left of each flavor. There were most of the usual suspects as well as the popular blueberry donut. They also had a few holiday decorated doughnuts as well.

Regular donuts are priced at $.89 and fancy ones are $1.59.

We came home with a half dozen of regular donuts. Our haul included glazed twisted, regular glazed, blueberry, and glazed old fashioned.

The glazed twist was skinnier than ones usually sold at other donut shops and as a result it wasn’t as fluffy.

Of the donuts we purchased, my favorite was the old fashioned. Crispy on the outside and soft and moist on the inside.

I always feel compelled to get a blueberry donut, ever since hearing about the famed ones at M & M’s in Anaheim and their hour-long lines. I have yet to try one from there. The ones I’ve had in San Diego so far all taste pretty similar. They have all tasted okay for me, but I feel like they could be done better. I’m tempted to try making my own blueberry donuts.

Glazed Donut

The donuts here were pretty standard but nothing really stood out for me. Our favorite go-to donut shop so far for classic donuts is Donut Stop. But we’re going to continue searching to add a few more favorites to our list.

Donut Haven
420 Robinson Ave
Ste F
San Diego, CA 92103
donuthavensd.com
Donut Haven on Urbanspoon

10 Responses to “Donut Haven”

1. Cathy — December 27, 2013 at 6:59 am

Always good to do research: the only way to find or realize the best. I hadn’t seen Donut Haven, must have passed it. Nice post.

• Kirbie replied: — December 27th, 2013 @ 9:46 pm

It’s the same lot that has an Einstein bagels, if that helps.

2. Kira - Healthable Old Soul — December 27, 2013 at 8:13 am

If you are still in to donuts, come to Portland and visit Coco’s Donuts! Fluffy and not as greasy!

• Kirbie replied: — December 27th, 2013 @ 9:46 pm

I really want to visit Portland! It’s on my to-do list

3. Mary — December 27, 2013 at 3:02 pm

Looks like they twisted it maybe a littttttle too much on that one donut! It should not be that skinny!

• Kirbie replied: — December 27th, 2013 @ 9:45 pm

Yeah it’s so skinny. But all the ones left were like that so I don’t know if that’s just how they make their twists.

4. caninecologne — December 27, 2013 at 8:55 pm

I have this place marked in my Garmin but haven’t gone yet. Good to know that they have their own lot. I hate parking in Hillcrest. Yay for blueberry donuts! :)

• Kirbie replied: — December 27th, 2013 @ 9:45 pm

hehe, yup blueberry donuts!

5. Bonnie Nicholls — December 29, 2013 at 9:36 pm

My first job ever was in a donut store. I got to eat them fresh out of the grease. My favorites were glazed old fashioned and crumb donuts (those were actually day-old donuts). A long time ago, when I lived in PB, I did a story on Linda’s Donuts, a longtime donut store tucked away in a litle strip mall on the corner of Lamont and Grand. Last I looked, it was still there.

• Kirbie replied: — December 30th, 2013 @ 9:49 am

Oh I will have to look into that. thanks!