Honey Orange Chicken
This honey orange chicken dish has crunchy chicken pieces that are baked and do not use any panko bread crumbs. The chicken tastes and looks like it has been deep fried, but it isn’t.
I’m so excited to share this recipe with you today. I’ve previously made baked crunchy chicken dishes but they’ve always required coating the chicken in panko bread crumbs to provide that needed crunch. But now I’ve found a solution that mimics the fried texture even better.
No bread crumbs, no flour and no oil. It’s also gluten free. Have I piqued your curiosity?
As much as I like panko bread crumbs, sometimes I miss the fried version. I miss that batter, and the way the sauce coats the chicken so well. So I was all set to make a fried version when I decided to do some experimenting. And it worked! I wish I took some preparation pictures but I wasn’t sure if it would work. Next time I make this, I’ll update with some prep photos. I paired the chicken with some beautiful green cauliflower I picked up from the market. I love the pale green!
This recipe starts with the same method I usually use for coating my chicken when I’m about to fry it. But then instead of frying, I bake it. The coating comes together around the chicken during the baking. Then I broil it. This crisps up that coating and turns it a light brown, and voila!
Honey Orange Chicken
- 1 lb boneless chicken breast
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 2 tbsp vodka (if you are cooking gluten free make sure to choose a gluten free vodka brand)
- 1 large egg, whisked
For the sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp orange juice
- 1/2 - 1 tbsp sriracha sauce (depending on how spicy you like your food)
- 1 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tbsp cornstarch + 2 tbsp water
1. Preheat oven to 375F. Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces. In a small bowl, whisk egg with vodka. In another bowl, add cornstarch. Coat chicken in egg mixture and then roll in cornstarch.Place on large baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Repeat until all chicken is coated. Bake chicken for about 15 minutes in top half of oven or until chicken is cooked. The chicken should have a pale yellow coating formed over it from the cornstarch and egg mixture.
2. While chicken is cooking, make the sauce. Add all ingredients except cornstarch + water into a small saucepan and bring to a low boil, stirring to mix. After letting the sauce cook for about 1 minute, dissolve cornstarch completely in water and then add to mixture. Stir and continue to cook until sauce thickens (about 1 minute).
3. After chicken is cooked, move chicken baking sheet into bottom third of oven. Turn oven to low broil. Let chicken cook for about five minutes or until chicken pieces turn light brown on top and crisp up. Make sure to watch your chicken closely so it doesn't burn.
4. Add finished chicken to saucepan and coat chicken pieces in sauce. Serve immediately. You can serve with rice if desired and garnish with fresh chopped scallions.
All images and content are © Kirbie's Cravings.
Did you make this recipe?
Share it on instagram with the hashtag #kirbiecravings!