In college, my roommate started a tradition where we would make dumplings for Chinese New Year. We would make quite a lot, and eat them fresh and then freeze the rest.

Once you’ve eaten homemade dumplings, it’s really hard to go back to the freezer ones sold at local Asian markets.

With my former roommate now in Virginia finishing off graduate school, I’ve continued the tradition. This year, I had the siblings help out.  Unfortunately, I didn’t realize how bad some of their dumpling folding skills were! They still came out quite tasty though.

We opted to use the premade skins. While we love the taste of homemade skins, they are a pain to knead and roll out, and we were too lazy to do it.

Homemade pork and shrimp dumplings

Ingredients

• 4 pounds ground pork
  • 2 tablespoon minced fresh ginger root
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 pound salad shrimp, chopped
  • 3/4 cup soy sauce
  • 8 tablespoons oyster sauce
  • 8 tablespoons sesame oil
  • 2 egg, beaten
  • 3 cups finely shredded Chinese cabbage
  • 3 1/2 cups water
  • Approximately 6 wrapper packs

Directions

1. In a large pot, mix ground pork with 2 cups of water.  It’s important to mix the pork with the water so that your filling is moist rather than dry.  It may take a little bit of mixing for the pork to fully absorb the water.  Adding water also gives you a lot more filling to work with.
  2. Add in ginger, garlic, oyster sauce, soy sauce, half the sesame oil, eggs. Stir until well mixed.
  3. Add in shrimp, cabbage, and the remaining sesame oil.  Add in the 1 1/2 cups water, 1/2 cup at a time until water is full absorbed by the pork filling.
  4. Take dumpling skin and put in the palm of your hand.  Have a small bowl of water by your side.  Dip finger in water and wet the edges of the wrapper (So for a circle wrapper, wet edges all around the circle.  For square wrapper, all four edges must be wet so that the dumpling wrapper will close)
  5. Place approximately one tablespoon of pork filling in the middle of the wrapper.  Then fold wrapper closed, pinching edges to make sure it is completely closed.  Then fold the edges on top of each other, starting at one end and working to the other end, to create ridges on your dumpling.
  6. To Cook: Put dumplings in boiling water, make sure dumplings don’t
    stick to the bottom of the pot. Serve with dumpling sauce. I
    make my own sauce with soy sauce, minced garlic, and a little hot
    chili oil.
  7. If you have remaining dumplings, freeze immediately. Dumplings
    sitting out for more than 20-30 minutes will begin to
    melt and deteriorate. Dumplings need to be frozen separately or else they will stick together.

15 Responses to “Homemade pork and shrimp dumplings”

1. Kirk — February 26, 2010 at 7:52 am

Hey Kirbie – I know what you mean about the wrappers. At least I don’t jhave to worry since my MIL is from Shandong. She’s a Jiaozi machine….. I don’t know if you’ve ever seen my post on that.

2. Carol — February 26, 2010 at 7:56 am

Hi Kirbie! I don’t make my own peels either although I had thought about doing it this past New Year, but I came to my senses! :) How do you eat your leftover dumplings? I always pan fry mine, sort of a pot sticker thing. We love it. The sauce I make is usually soy sauce, vinegar, minced garlic (I did pound garlic this last time) and sometimes chili sauce of some sort.

3. Sandy — February 26, 2010 at 8:17 am

You are inspiring me to make dumplings this weekend! Unless you’re willing to share? :-)
    I usually don’t add water to the meat, so the amount you mention seems like a lot. However, it makes sense to add water so the filling isn’t so dry.
    I have never attempted homemade wrappers, but one of these days I’ll give it a try.
    Oh, and gotta make the green onion pancakes, too.

4. Kirbie — February 26, 2010 at 9:26 am

You’re so lucky to have a MIL making dumplings! When I was little, my grandma would make the wrappers by hand. I remember thinking how much strength is required to roll out each of those wrappers!

5. Kirbie — February 26, 2010 at 9:29 am

Hi Carol- It took us a few hours just to fold all the dumplings; I can’t imagine how long it would have taken to make the skins! I love pan frying mine too to make pot stickers! Sometimes I’ll also stick them in noodle soup.

6. Kirbie — February 26, 2010 at 9:31 am

Hi Sandy- I definitely recommend adding water. Though you may want to reduce the amounts of meat from my recipe because 4 lbs of meat plus all that water makes a lot of filling….The first year I made it with my roommate and I didn’t add water and they were dry. Then I called up my mom and she was like “You need to add water! Add water until the meat can’t absorb anymore water.” So now I always make sure I add plenty of water to my filling.

7. Faye — February 26, 2010 at 10:51 am

I love homemade dumplings but yeah doesn’t it just take FOREVER to fold them! I think the entire process is time consuming but entirely worth it in the end.
    I’ve never heard of adding water to the pork either! I’ll have to try that next time? Would it be more flavorful to use chicken stock?
    Nice tutorial!

8. tigerfish — February 26, 2010 at 4:12 pm

I love dumpling! and use store-bought wrappers too. They are really much easier.

9. Alexandra — February 26, 2010 at 5:00 pm

wow! these look amazing! i love following your blog and i have toy on my daily reads! i love finding out new places to eat in so cal :)

10. Kirbie — March 1, 2010 at 12:41 pm

Chicken stock would probably be more flavorful, though then I would recommend cutting down on the other seasonings like soy sauce and oyster sauce. Yes, it is time consuming…and the dumplings never last long!

11. Kirbie — March 1, 2010 at 12:41 pm

I agree. Store bought wrappers save so much time. I just wish they tasted more chewy like homemade wrappers.

12. Kirbie — March 1, 2010 at 12:42 pm

Hi Alexandra! Thanks for stopping by. I’m glad you like my blog. I’ve seen it on your blog list! =)

13. Pingback: Wonton soup with green tea noodles | Kirbie Cravings

14. Pingback: SwC: How to Making an Emergency Fishing Kit | Fly Tying Kits Reviews

15. Pingback: Saehae Bok Mahnee Bahdeuseyo!!! « Dining with the Catty Critic