I love sugar donut muffins. They are so easy to make and they taste a lot like cake donuts, but much healthier. I’ve made them multiple times now but I realized recently that I never put the original version on this blog. Instead, I’ve done all the variations on the original recipe.

So here is the original version. A sugar donut muffin that is then rolled in a cinnamon sugar mixture. They might look as cute as ones dipped in chocolate or some of the other versions I’ve made, but they still taste delicious.

I’ve also made these enough times now that I’ve managed to find ways to make the recipe even easier. The original recipe I tried required separate bowls and an electric mixer. The method I use now only requires one bowl to make the batter and a whisk. I love when the clean up is easy. I also used my mini muffin tin rather than making regular muffins.

Recipe: Cinnamon Sugar Donut Muffins

(slightly adapted from recipe from Baking Bites)

(Yields approx 24 mini muffins)

Ingredients

• 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 2 tsp baking power
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 3/4 cup fat free milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease mini muffin tin with cooking spray.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together sugar and egg until combined. Add in flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. Mix until combined.
  3. Then mix in vegetable oil, milk and vanilla extract.
  4. Fill each mini muffin cup about 3/4 full.
  5. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Once muffins have cooled you can roll in a cinnamon sugar mixture.

18 Responses to “Cinnamon Sugar Donut Muffins”

1. Lauren at KeepItSweet — April 1, 2011 at 8:23 am

These look terrific!

• Kirbie replied: — April 1st, 2011 @ 11:29 am

Thanks! They taste yummy!

2. Sandy — April 1, 2011 at 11:38 am

You list fat-free milk in the ingredients, but Baking Bites’ recipe in your link has milk, although it mentions you could use low fat milk. Have you noticed a difference in the type of milk used for these donut muffins?

These look so yummy and easy; I may have to buy a mini-muffin pan just so I can make these.

• Kirbie replied: — April 1st, 2011 @ 12:07 pm

I think I’ve tried both and it tasted the same to me. Maybe if you do a side by side you might notice a slight difference. I usually have fat free milk on hand, so that is normally what I use. I think I bought a mini muffin pan to make these. I’ve since used it for other stuff, but I originally bought it to make these. I really like these!

3. Jelli — April 2, 2011 at 10:12 pm

I made these pretty much right away after seeing you posted this! They turned out great and the flavor reminds me of churros. :) The best part really is the minimal amount of dishes I had to wash after making them!

• Kirbie replied: — April 3rd, 2011 @ 2:49 pm

So glad you liked them! I love the minimal amount of dishes too. I’m always trying to reduce the work and amount of dishes, so I was happy to get this batter down to a one bowl/whisk batter.

4. tigerfish — April 3, 2011 at 1:09 pm

I’m starting to think – is it donut or muffin? But if it is donut made in a muffin shape – I will eat it. Less mess!

• Kirbie replied: — April 3rd, 2011 @ 2:52 pm

Haha, I think it is supposed to be like a donut in a muffin shape. Not sure why, but it works and it’s cute and a great breakfast treat!

5. Cammie — April 4, 2011 at 5:32 pm

These look so yummy! Would this recipe work in a regular size cupcake mold?

• Kirbie replied: — April 4th, 2011 @ 11:23 pm

Yes, you can bake them in a regular cupcake mold but you will have to adjust the baking time. I’m not sure how long exactly you will have to bake them for but I’d try around 20-25 minutes.

6. Sarai G — April 8, 2011 at 7:31 pm

I love using my mini muffin pans! Thanks for posting this-I’m so excited to try them!

• Kirbie replied: — April 8th, 2011 @ 9:57 pm

I love using mine too! I try to stuff every recipe into there

7. Mandy — October 8, 2012 at 12:47 pm

AHH! Made these this morning and they were so good. My only note is to make sure that if you have a dark metal pan they tend to darken on the sides.

• Kirbie replied: — October 8th, 2012 @ 12:54 pm

Oh I didn’t even know that. I have a light silver pan. But I’m glad that you like them!

8. valeria de angelis / leila on the rainbow — October 8, 2012 at 3:24 pm

This recipe looks like very nice! Today I buy mini pans.
    I’ll make this muffin! :) Thanks!

• Kirbie replied: — October 8th, 2012 @ 4:01 pm

This is one of my favorites!

9. Mei-sze — August 22, 2013 at 11:23 pm

Hi!
    I just made these muffins. And I LOVE THEM. I’ve used another recipe before, but I found it was a lot drier. I added a lot more nutmeg and also added cinnamon and it tastes AMAZING. Will probably make them again in future. Thanks!

• Kirbie replied: — August 22nd, 2013 @ 11:53 pm

I love this recipe so I’m glad you do too!