I love Japanese cheesecake. It’s lighter than American cheesecake, with an almost souffle like texture. It is light, creamy, and melts in your mouth.

I tried to make japanese cheesecake once. It didn’t come out exactly right. I’ve been wanting to go back and try it again. This time the cake came out better and tasted just right. I still have some problems with it looking perfect. The top did deflate causing a wrinkled surface. I’ll have to work on the presentation, but taste-wise this cake was heavenly.

The cake contains cream cheese like american cheesecake, but not as much cream cheese as american cheesecake. It is also mixed with whipped egg whites, giving it a light texture. The cake is also baked in a water bath. All of this sounds sort of complicated, but it’s actually not that hard to make.

I used a recipe I found on The Little Teochew, which came with wonderful tips on making the perfect japanese cheesecake and hers really is beautiful. You can view it here.

8 Responses to “Japanese cheesecake”

1. Charissa — May 2, 2011 at 2:15 pm

I just made a no bake cheesecake not too long ago…and this looks similar, and oh-so good! Thanks for sharing!

• Kirbie replied: — May 3rd, 2011 @ 12:52 am

I’m not sure how similar the taste is to no bake cheesecake, but this is really tasty. You should try it out sometime!

2. Lindsey@Lindselicious — May 2, 2011 at 6:17 pm

oooh I love Japanese cheesecake. Your pics make me want to run out and try to make it. I’m scared after the japanese sponge cake defeated me twice.

• Kirbie replied: — May 3rd, 2011 @ 12:52 am

You should try it out. I think this was easier to make than the sponge cake and less likely to fail. What kind of japanese sponge cake were you making? The castella?

3. Lely — May 4, 2011 at 7:26 am

This cake is definitely a winner, right? I also loooovveeee it!! Try brushing the top with apricot that dilute in water (1:1) Darn good ;)

• Kirbie replied: — May 4th, 2011 @ 8:22 am

I love this cake a lot!

4. Jackie — May 10, 2011 at 11:09 pm

Hi Kirby! I haven’t been on here in a long time due to school but I am finally on break! I missed this blog so much and like always, your recipes look amazingly delicious. Congratulations on your engagement too!

For the cheesecake, it calls for corn flour. Is that corn starch or corn meal?

• Kirbie replied: — May 10th, 2011 @ 11:32 pm

Hi Jackie! Glad to hear from you! Hope you have a good break. The corn flour is corn starch. For a lot of asian desserts that have a lighter texture, they use a little corn starch as part of the flour mix.