I felt a little guilty making these. Normally I try to keep muffins and cupcakes separate. Muffins are less sweet, more appropriate for a breakfast food. These muffins, while still muffin-like in texture, definitely cross over to cupcake/dessert territory with their sweetness and indulgence in cookies and cream.
I’ve been obsessed with making oreo/cookies and cream creations lately, and this is my latest recipe.
I took a basic muffin batter, and added some crushed oreos. The crushed cookies and cream added a yummy sweetness to the muffin batter. I sprinkled the top with crushed oreos as well.
My muffins came out a little browner than I would have liked, though they didn’t taste dry. I think next time I might lower the oven temperature or take them out a little sooner.
I’d feel a little guilty eating these for breakfast, but they make a great sugary snack.The inside is full of little bits of chocolate cookie and cream from the oreos.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- about 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup crushed oreos
- 1/4 cup crushed oreos
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (I might lower this to 375 so the muffins don’t turn out so brown). Line 12 muffin cups.
- Combine flour, sugar, salt and baking powder in a medium bowl. Place vegetable oil into a 1 cup measuring cup and add the egg and enough milk to fill the cup to 1 cup mark. Pour into flour mixture. Stir with a large spoon. Crush oreos in a food processor. Take 1/2 cup of oreos and stir into batter.
- Pour batter into muffin cups, about 2/3 full. Sprinkle remaining oreo crumbs on the surface of the batter.
- Bake for about 20 minutes until muffins turn golden brown and toothpick inserted comes out clean.