Sunday, August 14, 2011

Soft and fluffy glazed donuts

I finally found a great donut recipe. These donuts are soft, fluffy, and taste like bakery-style donuts.

I wasn’t planning on making donuts. It all came out of a failed attempt to get donuts this weekend. I’ve lived in California for most of my life now, but every once in a while, my days of living on the East Coast make an appearance. One of the things I had to adjust to when I first moved to California is the lack of fresh donuts available after the early morning hours because most Californians consider donuts only as a breakfast food.

When I lived in New York, donuts were eaten in the morning, in the afternoon, at kids’ birthday parties, etc.  Whether it be a grocery bakery or a Dunkin’ Donuts, fresh donuts were always available.

This weekend, we went to check out a donut bakery shop that got really good reviews. I had plans on buying many of these delicious donuts. When I got to the shop, the trays of donuts were all empty except for a few jelly donuts. I was so disappointed. I ranted and raved to the FH. I told FH about my childhood days and eating donut holes in the classroom whenever it was someone’s birthday.

And then I decided to make some donuts. The only problem was, I didn’t have a good recipe. I’ve tried several, and while none of them tasted bad (it’s hard to complain about fried dough), the recipes I’ve tried have not been fluffy and soft like the donuts I buy. And they’ve been a lot of messy work.

Then I came across this recipe that looked promising. And it was fairly easy too. A few hours later, I was frying up donuts that looked like donuts. And they tasted incredible. I topped them with a simple glaze because glazed donuts are my favorite.

I definitely will be keeping this recipe and using it again next time I’m in the mood for donuts and all the donut shops are out of fresh donuts.

I am submitting this post to Yeastspotting.

The recipe comes from Allrecipes and I followed it exactly as written.

35 Responses to “Soft and fluffy glazed donuts”

Jess Wakasugi {Life's Simple Measures} — August 15, 2011 @ 6:36 am

I just made donuts this last weekend, too, but I had quite a few more issues! It looks like this recipe was fairly easy though, so I might have to try this out and redeem myself! I attached the link to my first-time donut making experience and am wondering if you could offer me any advice!

• Kirbie replied: — August 15th, 2011 @ 9:15 am

You should try out this recipe. I’ve had issues with past ones, but this one was so easy to put together and I didn’t run into any problems. I left a comment on yours as well regarding some of your questions. Hope you have more success on your next batch!

Connie — August 15, 2011 @ 7:42 am

The doughnuts are beautiful! You’re right, us Californians only like doughnuts early in the day. It’s hard to find a fresh doughnut for an afternoon snack. I bet some chocolate glaze and sprinkles would be lovely on them as well. I attempted to make doughnuts earlier this year but they were such an EPIC FAIL that I was too embarrassed to post about them!

• Kirbie replied: — August 15th, 2011 @ 9:19 am

I tried a chocolate glaze on some but my glaze was too thick. I didn’t photo those. Oops. I’ll definitely make some more variations like cinnamon sugar, chocolate glaze, etc on my next batch. I tried a recipe earlier in the year that got really good reviews but my donuts were a mess. I had given up and decided just to buy them but then I tried this recipe and love it.

Peachie — August 15, 2011 @ 12:54 pm

They look like Krispy Kreme donuts! Yummmyyy!

• Kirbie replied: — August 15th, 2011 @ 1:03 pm

They are soft and creamy. =)

myFudo — August 15, 2011 @ 1:28 pm

Looking marvelous, I can eat them out of my screen :) Great appealing photos.

• Kirbie replied: — August 15th, 2011 @ 3:51 pm

Thank you!

Gastronomer — August 15, 2011 @ 9:30 pm

Mmmm, doughnuts. I have bookmarked this recipe!

• Kirbie replied: — August 15th, 2011 @ 10:25 pm

Yes, you should definitely check this recipe out. I know how much you love donuts!

Catty Critic — August 16, 2011 @ 11:06 am

I love love love simple yeast-risen glazed donuts though I usually go for the twists. I am gong to have to try this recipe!

P.S. Did you hear? Dunkin’ Donuts is planning on expanding westwards. :)

• Kirbie replied: — August 16th, 2011 @ 11:24 am

Twists are my favorite. I saw this recipe for good twists, I will have to try it soon.
      Serious about DD? I always get mad when I see their coffee because i think “Seriously?? You bring the coffee and not the donuts?!?”
      I would so happy if DD came here.

ani — February 28, 2012 @ 4:51 am

where is the recipie

Lisa C — April 5, 2012 @ 11:37 pm

My daughter has food allergies – peanuts/nuts. If I can recreate these I will be so happy to teach her to make her own superior doughnuts!

• Kirbie replied: — April 6th, 2012 @ 8:19 am

Yes these are really easy!

Anonymous — May 27, 2012 @ 11:58 pm

i tried making this recipe. wasn’t the dough sticky in the beginning, before proofing?

• Kirbie replied: — May 28th, 2012 @ 8:06 pm

I don’t remember it being too sticky when I was finished mixing the dough.

can not find the recipe — July 10, 2012 @ 1:49 pm

Please send me the recipe. Thank you

Roger — November 3, 2012 @ 10:14 am

I’ve been honing my yeast donut recipe the past few weeks and have had terrific success using a preferment. The flavors and texture it imparts are substantial. The extra prep-work 1-2days prior is definitely worth it. You get a much more fragrant, yeasty, nutty aroma. Let me know if you ever want to give it a shot. I’ll send you my recipe.

• Kirbie replied: — November 5th, 2012 @ 9:25 am

Roger!!! Are you back to blogging? I bet your yeast donut recipe does taste wonderful. I don’t know if I have the patience for it, but I can imagine. Just did a whole yeast taste testing thing at White Labs this weekend.

anita meyer — November 23, 2012 @ 10:27 am

can I get the recipie for the
    Soft and fluffy glazed donuts from some one,, I cant find it,
    my email is country_cowgirl2@yahoo.com
    please thank you…..

anita meyer — November 23, 2012 @ 10:30 am

Soft and fluffy glazed donuts
    I need the recipie please!!!!!!
    send to my email, cant find it anywhere
    country_cowgirl2@yahoo.com

Rachel — April 20, 2013 @ 9:15 am

Awesome recipe! These are Yummy! Thank you!

• Kirbie replied: — April 20th, 2013 @ 6:00 pm

glad you enjoyed it!

aimi — May 5, 2013 @ 7:06 am

does the texture is same like dunkin donuts?

• Kirbie replied: — May 6th, 2013 @ 9:37 am

I don’t have any Dunkin Donuts here so I can’t say

Angel — September 25, 2013 @ 7:08 am

I’ve tried several recipes and keep having this crust on the out side. Is there a way to get rid of that. I want a softer donut not a crispy one.

• Kirbie replied: — September 25th, 2013 @ 8:19 am

Hmm, I haven’t had that issue with this recipe. Did you try this one yet? They might be crispy right after you fry, that’s pretty normal because it’s fried. But once they cool and you put glaze on, they should not have a thin crust. Also you might need to turn down your temperature for frying. It sounds like a thin crust might have developed if the temperature you fry is too high or if too long.

Alfiya — December 8, 2013 @ 11:13 am

I had tried making donuts last week bt my donuts were crispy on the outside n suttle on the inside as in it wasnt that fluffy n softer as we get in restaurants!

• Kirbie replied: — December 8th, 2013 @ 11:57 pm

I think maybe something went wrong during your rising. But I really can’t tell exactly what went wrong. I haven’t had any issues with this recipe.

shaima — January 3, 2014 @ 2:11 am

.25 ounce means how many tea sopoons or how many tablespoon??? :(

• Kirbie replied: — January 3rd, 2014 @ 10:54 am

try google search. there’s a lot of websites with conversions