My trek of sticking pumpkin in baked goods continued this weekend with these pumpkin popovers. I’ve successfully made pumpkin rolls, pumpkin garlic knots, so why not pumpkin popovers?

The batter was a little more dense and moist as a result of the pumpkin, so the popovers didn’t rise quite as much as some previous ones I’ve made before. You could definitely taste the pumpkin when you bite in and the popovers turned a pretty orange yellow.

I didn’t quite like these as much as I’ve liked other pumpkin creations. I’m not really sure why. They tasted like popovers, but for some reason I prefer the original popovers more. Perhaps that’s just how I feel about popovers because I’ve tried other popover flavors like chocolate popovers, and I also didn’t like them as much as the original.

I made these into mini popovers. Mini popovers aren’t quite mini — they just aren’t as big as full sized ones. If you are in the market for a mini popover pan, I used this mini popover pan and it works really well.  If you don’t own a mini popover pan, you can use a mini muffin pan, but I’ve heard that they don’t puff as much.

Print Print Save Save

Pumpkin Popovers

Yield: 10 mini popovers

Prep Time: 5 min

Cook Time: 30 min

Total Time: 35 min

* 2 large eggs
* 1 cups fat free milk
* 1 Tablespoons butter, melted
* 1 cup flour
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* additional 1 tbsp butter for pan
* 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
* 1/2 tsp pumpkin spice

1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Cut the unmelted butter into 10 small chunks. Place a small chunk of butter at the bottom of each popover mold. Place the pans in the oven while the oven preheats until the butter is completed melted and then remove pans (about 2 minutes).
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk and pumpkin puree. Add in the melted butter. Add the flour, spice and salt and mix until well combined but still slightly lumpy. Divide the batter among the pans, filling each mold 1/2 to 2/3 full.
3. Bake for 30 minutes without opening for mini popovers.

13 Responses to “Pumpkin Popovers”

1. Alyssa — October 24, 2011 at 5:56 am

Those are really cute! I’ve never seen mini popovers before.

• Kirbie replied: — October 24th, 2011 @ 8:39 am

I love mini popovers! The regular ones are a little too big..and the baking pan for regular one only holds six, which is a pain if you are trying to make more especially since they take about 45 minutes to bake.

2. Chung-Ah @ Damn Delicious — October 24, 2011 at 11:59 pm

This recipe just calls out to me! I’m obsessed with pumpkin recipes right now and this is just perfect because I never get to use my popover pan :)

Since I don’t have a mini popover pan, should I just double this recipe and bake for 45 minutes as you mentioned in the last comment?

• Kirbie replied: — October 25th, 2011 @ 12:47 am

You don’t need to double the recipe unless you want to make more than 6. I think this recipe should be able to make 6 large ones. You do need to increase the baking time to 45 minutes. I hope you like it!

3. Chung-Ah @ Damn Delicious — October 24, 2011 at 11:59 pm

And btw, I love your blog and I’m so glad to have found it. I will definitely be following :)

• Kirbie replied: — October 25th, 2011 @ 12:48 am

Aw, so glad you like my blog!

4. natalie (the sweets life) — October 25, 2011 at 5:28 am

these are great! I can’t wait to try in my regular-sized pan!

• Kirbie replied: — October 25th, 2011 @ 8:16 am

I hope you like them!

5. Krissys' Creations — October 25, 2011 at 3:45 pm

These sound and look incredible! I love popovers and pumpkin is a perfect fit fall and the holidays.

And we have something in common… I am a SD Food Blogger as well! Love it :)

• Kirbie replied: — October 26th, 2011 @ 8:19 am

Hello fellow SD food blogger!

6. Natalie — November 1, 2011 at 7:01 am

Pop!

7. Lamb — November 10, 2012 at 7:55 am

I’m making these for lunch today! :)

• Kirbie replied: — November 10th, 2012 @ 5:57 pm

Sounds like a good lunch!