Sunday, October 23, 2011

Soft Pumpkin Rolls

I made these pumpkin rolls the other day using a recipe I found on King Arthur Flour and absolutely adore them. They are ever so soft and taste of pumpkin spices.  These are perfect dinner rolls and would be a great addition to Thanksgiving dinner.

I was worried when I made the recipe because the dough barely rose, unlike most other yeast dough recipes I’ve made in the past. But in the end, these rolls still came out really soft and yummy.

4 3/4 cups All-Purpose Flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon instant yeast
15-ounce can pumpkin
2 large eggs
1/4 cup melted butter

Combine all of the dough ingredients, and mix and knead them with the dough hook attachment on your mixer until you’ve made a smooth, somewhat sticky dough (I kneaded mine in the machine for 5 minutes). Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled bowl, cover the bowl with plastic wrap, and set it aside to rise for 1 to 1 1/2 hours; it should have expanded somewhat, but won’t be wildly puffy.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, divide it in half. Working with the half dough, divide into 9 pieces. Roll the 9 pieces of dough between your palms until they are smooth round balls. Place balls into a 8 x 8 baking pan lined with parchment paper. Repeat process with other half of dough, placing balls into another baking pan. Cover both pans with a proof cover or lightly greased plastic wrap, andfor about 90 minutes, until they look puffy, though not doubled in bulk.

Bake the bread in a preheated 350°F oven for 30 minutes, until lightly browned and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center reads 190"F (I didn't bother with the instant read thermometer).

Recipe from King Arthur Flour

15 Responses to “Soft Pumpkin Rolls”

Carol — October 23, 2011 @ 8:28 pm

Oh, what pretty rolls! I love the color. I bet these would be awesome with some butter while they’re still warm.

• Kirbie replied: — October 24th, 2011 @ 8:39 am

Yes, these rolls are perfect with some butter. I adored these. So soft and they stayed soft too the next day. I used some leftovers to make really yummy french toast.

Kay — October 24, 2011 @ 7:35 am

These look delicious! I could easily eat a dozen…….. haha.

• Kirbie replied: — October 24th, 2011 @ 8:40 am

Wow, a dozen. They are really good though. I think I might make them for my Thanksgiving dinner this year.

Patti Davis — October 24, 2011 @ 10:30 am

These on going on my Thanksgiving menu. Thanks so much!How many does this recipe yield?

• Kirbie replied: — October 24th, 2011 @ 12:43 pm

It makes enough rolls to fill two 8 x8 pans. I put 9 rolls into each pan (18 total), though you can always make them smaller and fit more smaller rolls.

Patti Davis — October 24, 2011 @ 10:31 am

that should read, “these are going on my Thanksgiving menu”. LOL

mjskit — October 24, 2011 @ 8:10 pm

What a wonderful looking roll! I bet they are delicious!

• Kirbie replied: — October 25th, 2011 @ 12:48 am

They are! You should try it.

Tammy — October 27, 2011 @ 8:24 pm

Is it possible to add more sugar to make them sweet rolls? Would you suggest white granulated or more of the brown sugar?
    P.S. They look delicious!!

• Kirbie replied: — October 27th, 2011 @ 8:54 pm

Yes you can definitely add sugar to make them sweet rolls. I would probably use granulated white sugar and maybe some honey.

Jeri @ FatBurningFurnace — November 14, 2011 @ 2:28 pm

I have been looking for a recipe like this for the past couple of days but could not find one that caught my interest. That is until I found your site!! I’m not even sure how I ended up here, but I have to try it and with the holidays fast approaching – perfect timing for me!!

• Kirbie replied: — November 14th, 2011 @ 3:28 pm

Well however you found your way to my site, I’m happy you did. These are definitely on my Thanksgiving menu!

Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) — November 15, 2011 @ 10:18 am

These are just begging to be made for Thanksgiving!

• Kirbie replied: — November 15th, 2011 @ 10:49 am