Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Nutella Hot Chocolate

This past weekend there was some interesting weather. While we were experiencing a heat wave in San Diego, parts of the East Coast were experiencing some severe snow. In October!

Hot cocoa didn’t seem really appropriate with the 80 degree weather in San Diego, but I was thinking of the people experiencing snow. I saw a few nutella hot chocolate recipes last week and immediately knew I had to make it. I have such an obsession with Nutella, I’m surprised I didn’t think of this sooner.

This drink is delicious. Pure Nutella mixed with hot milk. You can add marshmallows or whipped cream, but this time around we just drank it plain. I have a feeling this will be a staple drink this winter.

Nutella Hot Chocolate

Yield: 1 cup

Cook Time: 5 mins

Total Time: 5 mins

1 cup milk
1 1/2 tbsp Nutella

Pour milk and Nutella in a small saucepan. Stir over medium heat until Nutella and milk are completely blended and begins to boil. Pour into a mug and drink while warm. Garnish with marshmallows or whipped cream if desired.

Slightly adapted from Miss in the Kitchen

16 Responses to “Nutella Hot Chocolate”

Sandy — November 2, 2011 @ 6:43 am

What a great idea – I just bought the Costco pack of Nutella. I might add whipped cream if I was feeling decadent since I’m not a fan of marshmallows in my drink.

• Kirbie replied: — November 2nd, 2011 @ 8:39 am

Yeah I like whipped cream with mine too, but I was too lazy to make whipped cream and I don’t like the canned one.

Alyssa — November 2, 2011 @ 5:39 pm

It’s so simple that I can’t believe I never thought of it! Yumm, now if only the weather would cooperate…

• Kirbie replied: — November 2nd, 2011 @ 8:56 pm

Yeah it is really simple. Oh, I’m sure the cold weather will be soon here enough. I think i’ll be making this instead of regular hot chocolate this winter.

Mindy — November 2, 2011 @ 6:19 pm

This is genious! It is cold here in Utah now… so it’s off to the grocery store for me to pick up some Nutella.

• Kirbie replied: — November 2nd, 2011 @ 8:57 pm

I love how easy it is. And soo good

Trish — November 3, 2011 @ 2:54 am

I have been an addict of this style of hot chocolate for about 10 years now and I am still surprised more people have not tried it yet. THE BEST YOU WILL EVER HAVE

• Kirbie replied: — November 3rd, 2011 @ 9:53 am

I agree. Much better than just regular hot chocolate!

Jennifer — November 4, 2011 @ 3:26 pm

I just recently indulged in my first spoonful of Nutella. I’ve seen it on the cooking channel, commercials etc. and OH MY, I did not need to know Costco had the big quantity as I try to stick to the small container LOL Just smeared some on little peanut butter stuffed pretzel nuggets…shoulda had some hot chocolate with, as it’s cold enough here today. Next time…Also great on vanilla muffins, pound cake, graham crackers and heck, right out of the jar :) Thanks!

Jennifer

• Kirbie replied: — November 4th, 2011 @ 8:50 pm

I’m happy you discovered nutella. The big jars at Costco are a great bargain. Cheaper than the small ones and really useful for baking because you do need a lot for baking.

Mindy — November 9, 2011 @ 3:52 am

Yesterday I had my first Nutella hot chocolate, but it wasn’t this recipe. I just made hot chocolate then got a big glob of Nutella on my spoon and starting swirling it in the hot chocolate. You could see it swirling and getting all melty with the hot chocolate, and the Nutella was getting warmer, and I got soooo happy to see the hot chocolate darken in colour while adding the Nutella. The final result = AMAZING. It was quite rich and I enjoyed every sip very very much!

• Kirbie replied: — November 9th, 2011 @ 9:29 am

You should try just Nutella and no other chocolate and see which one you like better!

Nikita Gould — December 9, 2011 @ 2:14 am

Wow, I do love nutella, Just the plain nutella where I just use a spoon and put it in my mouth and let it stay there. I enjoy every taste I can have on my nutella! Love to try this one! Thanks for sharing your idea!

• Kirbie replied: — December 9th, 2011 @ 9:20 am

This is as good as eating nutella off the spoon in my opinion.

Kelcie — December 11, 2011 @ 5:38 pm

I made this last night and it was so good! I love nutella and this is such a perfect recipe. This is definitely the thing to get me through the rest of winter. Lol.

• Kirbie replied: — December 12th, 2011 @ 9:22 am

After this I don’t think I can go back to regular cocoa. =)