Bacon + Avocado is one of my favorite combinations, especially in salads, sandwiches and burgers. So for my next breakfast cup idea, I decided to try making bacon avocado cups. This may be my favorite combination yet.

Creamy avocado, plus crispy smokey bacon. *Sigh*

These cups are a little more delicate than the previous breakfast cups I’ve made. Because the avocado is soft, it might fall out of the bottom if jostled too much. The egg does hold it together, but not as well as some of the other cups,so I wouldn’t take these on the go. They are better eaten with a fork or spoon.

I think these make a very colorful brunch item, perfect for a potluck. And they are just as easy to make as the previous breakfast cups I’ve made.

Print Print Recipe

Bacon Avocado Egg Cups

Yield: 4

2 ripe avocados
4 eggs
4 strips of bacon (to save cooking time and for crunchier bacon, you can use precooked bacon like the one at Costco or cook the raw bacon for a few minutes in the microwave (about 50% done) prior to wrapping)

1. Preheat oven to 375F. Grease muffin pan. Slice avocados in half. Take one half, remove pit, the slice off a small portion of the bottom so that the avocado has a flat edge. Careful not to cut too much as you don't want to cut too deep into the hollowed surface created by the pit. You want there to be an indented round surface in the avocado but you don't want there to be a hole through the bottom as the egg will fall out. Place each cut half (that has hollowed center) into the muffin pan. For the remaining small scraps, you can eat or use for something else.
2. Wrap a strip of bacon around the exterior of the avocado. Break an egg into the center, so that the egg yolk sits in the avocado middle where the pit once was. Bake for about 12-17 minutes, until egg white is fully cooked. Gently remove cups from muffin pan with a large spoon, lifting from the bottom of the cups. Serve while warm.

29 Responses to “Bacon Avocado Egg Cups”

1. Carrie — January 5, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Bacon and avocado is one of my favorite combinations, too. I love this idea!

• Kirbie replied: — January 5th, 2012 @ 2:28 pm

It was a great way to use up a bunch of avocados too that were ripe. I love everything about this dish.

2. Beverly — January 5, 2012 at 1:07 pm

This will be our Saturday morning feast! Delectable!

• Kirbie replied: — January 5th, 2012 @ 2:28 pm

Yay! Hope you enjoy

3. Dennis — January 5, 2012 at 6:24 pm

Hey this looks wayy better than what they had at Bread & Cie! I love their breads though… ;)

• Kirbie replied: — January 6th, 2012 @ 12:43 am

Oh they have something like this at Bread and Cie? I don’t usually see their menu; I usually just stop in for bread and sweets.

4. Dennis — January 6, 2012 at 8:50 am

Hi Kirbie, yeah they have a bread basket poached egg thing which turned out to be nothing I imagined it would be (especially for the price). I love their caramelized onion bread! Anyway this looks great. I miss my oven.

• Kirbie replied: — January 6th, 2012 @ 9:23 am

Hmm, it sounds cool. Too bad it was disappointing. No oven? *Gasp* I’d be very very sad..

5. Christina @ Sweet Pea's Kitchen — January 6, 2012 at 10:31 am

These look great!! I juts might have to make these for breakfast tomorrow morning!! :)

• Kirbie replied: — January 6th, 2012 @ 10:58 am

I just bought new avocados so I can make this again!

6. Faye — January 6, 2012 at 11:49 am

Low carb recipe! This looks amazing – great thing for me to try out for the new year. Thanks!

• Kirbie replied: — January 6th, 2012 @ 11:59 am

Oh you are right, it is low carb. I didn’t even realize that. Everyone has been doing all these “healthy” recipes to start off the New Year, and I was just thinking, I don’t have any.

7. Dennis — January 6, 2012 at 9:53 pm

Had to get rid of it when I tore out one of the walls! I now have a smaller convection toaster oven in the mean time though. ;)

8. sara — January 7, 2012 at 7:25 pm

These look really yummy! I love bacon and avocado together too, what a perfect combo! :)

• Kirbie replied: — January 8th, 2012 @ 4:21 pm

I love the combo too

9. Inna — January 8, 2012 at 7:19 am

Make sure you get small eggs–I didn’t think of it in advance and the egg white totally slipped out. :) I guess I could have carved a bigger whole in the avocado too, either way, think about egg size.

• Kirbie replied: — January 8th, 2012 @ 4:21 pm

Oh that’s true. Medium eggs work best, though if I have large ones I usually will put less egg white or try to make the hole a little bigger.

10. Marissa — January 9, 2012 at 4:49 pm

This looks delicious! I can almost taste it. I took a bit of a break from blogging – I’ve got a lot of catching up to do on your blog (not that I’m complaining!) Happy New Year!

• Kirbie replied: — January 9th, 2012 @ 4:53 pm

Ah, I was thinking I hadnt heard from you in a while! Happy New Year!

11. Jacon — March 22, 2012 at 12:00 pm

It looks like you then removed the egg and bacon from the avocado cup – what’s up with that?

• Kirbie replied: — March 22nd, 2012 @ 12:44 pm

I’m sorry I don’t understand your question. The egg and bacon have not been removed from the avocado cup. Where did you get that impression?

12. Jacon — March 22, 2012 at 12:46 pm

From the pictures… there’s only the slightest bit of avocado, and the egg seems to have been right up against the pan. Am I missing something here?

• Kirbie replied: — March 22nd, 2012 @ 12:53 pm

The avocado is still there. When it’s cooking the egg whites covered over most of the avocado. This was intentional because the egg white then also holds the avocado cup together. If you flip it upside down you can still see the avocado,but you just can’t see it all from the side view

13. Jacon — March 22, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Ahh, got it. Thanks. Looks tasty.

14. @Guacgl — April 13, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Sounds so delicious! I can’t believe I’m just finding this recipe. I’ll share with other avocado lovers on our FB page with an incoming link. Thanks for your creation!

15. Dylan — June 15, 2012 at 11:13 am

you should cook the bacon before you wrap the avocado if you don’t it doesn’t work

• Kirbie replied: — June 15th, 2012 @ 11:38 am

Hmm, I often used the precooked bacon at Costco when making these egg cups but I think for this one I used raw bacon since I didn’t specify precooked. Also I baked them for a lot longer than when I used precooked bacon. I’ve had no problem using raw bacon. Precooked is of course easier and cuts down on cooking time, but it can be done with raw bacon.

16. Bray — February 21, 2013 at 11:57 am

Do you take off the skin of the avocado before putting it in the oven? looks great!

• Kirbie replied: — February 21st, 2013 @ 12:25 pm

Yes! Remove the skin before putting it in the oven