Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Fried Bacon Eggs

Happy Valentine’s Day! While Valentine’s Day is usually celebrated with a lot of chocolate and flowers, I thought I’d share this savory dish as a possible choice for your loved one.

Soft boiled egg covered in a crispy bacon breadcrumb. Yummy.

This is one of FH’s favorites. I’ve made it before, but it’s been a long time since I’ve revisited this recipe. He likes the egg yolk more runny but I accidentally cooked these slightly too long.

These don’t take too long to make though you do need some patience peeling the soft boiled eggs. These are perfect for a breakfast treat for your loved one any day of the year.

Fried Bacon Eggs

4 eggs
4 tablespoons flour
1 beaten egg
1 cup Italian breadcrumbs
4 strips of precooked bacon
canola oil for frying

1. Boil eggs in a small pot of water until they reach soft boil stage (about 3-4 minutes, I used egg timer). Then remove eggs and place in a bowl of ice water. Let the eggs completely cool in the ice water which should take about 10 or 15 minutes.
2. When cooled, peel the eggs by gently tapping them. There will be one side of the egg that is easier to peel. There should be part of the egg that does not come out of the shell easily. For this part, use a spoon to get inside the shell in order to help remove the egg from the shell. Heat 2 cups of vegetable oil in a small saucepan.
3. While that heats, place the flour, the beaten egg and the breadcrumb in 3 separate bowls.
4. Chop the precooked bacon into small pieces (or put it through a food processor) and add to the breadcrumb bowl.
5. Coat each soft-boiled egg in the flour, then coat with the egg. Dump the breadcrumb/bacon mixture onto the egg, trying to get as much of it to stick and coat as possible. Then re-dredge the egg in the yolk and dump more breadcrumbs/bacon onto the egg. I find it easiest to take a handful of breadcrumb mixture and drop it onto the egg rather than let roll the eggs in the breadcrumbs. Place one egg at a time in the hot oil. Turn the egg after about 10-20 seconds to brown on all sides. Remove the egg to a paper towel and continue with the rest of the eggs.
6. Serve while warm.

16 Responses to “Fried Bacon Eggs”

Barb @ WishfulChef — February 14, 2012 @ 1:16 pm

What a great idea, these look so delicious. I love soft boiled eggs for breakfast (I typically roast some asparagus to dip in the eggs).

• Kirbie replied: — February 14th, 2012 @ 2:19 pm

I love soft boiled eggs too. Never tried dipping asparagus though. I hope you enjoy this recipe!

Valerie — February 14, 2012 @ 1:25 pm

Is there anything better than bacon and eggs? (Well, bacon makes just about anything it touched turn to gold.) :D

Great recipe!

• Kirbie replied: — February 14th, 2012 @ 2:19 pm

Heehee, yes, bacon is very wonderful.

caninecologne — February 14, 2012 @ 4:46 pm

What a great recipe – i haven’t made soft boiled eggs in awhile. eggs ‘n bacon is always a good combination! mmmm!

happy valentine’s to you and your FH!:)

• Kirbie replied: — February 15th, 2012 @ 11:07 am

Thanks CC! Happy Valentine’s Day to you and your family too!

Tony — February 14, 2012 @ 4:58 pm

Hello fellow San Diegan. I’m making these this weekend. I’ll report back. FANTASTIC idea. I love bacon and soft boiled eggs, so this is a win-win!

• Kirbie replied: — February 15th, 2012 @ 11:08 am

I hope you like it! This is one of my favorite recipes of all time.

Carol — February 14, 2012 @ 8:24 pm

Happy Valentine’s Day Kirbie and FH!

• Kirbie replied: — February 15th, 2012 @ 11:10 am

Happy Valentine’s Day Carol and the Mister!

Kristen @ The Endless Meal — February 14, 2012 @ 9:58 pm

I’ve recently noticed Scotch eggs popping up on restaurant menus all over town. I’ve been curious about how to make them since they are insanely good. Thank you for the recipe!!

• Kirbie replied: — February 15th, 2012 @ 11:12 am

You know I’ve never had scotch eggs at a restaurant. Though I made some recently and liked it. These are similar, though less work because you don’t have that sausage layer.

Rodzilla — February 14, 2012 @ 9:59 pm

I don’t know, that yolk looks pretty perfect to me. I would only want it runnier if I was going to spread it over something…like another one of these or a scotch egg :D

• Kirbie replied: — February 15th, 2012 @ 11:12 am

Haha. Yeah these are less messy, but some people really love that runny yolk. Mopping up the yolk with a scotch egg, lol.

Michael — February 22, 2012 @ 7:07 pm

I’m entering a deviled egg contest this weekend.

How sticky is this coating? Would it survive a deviled egg experience? Or, do you think it would flake off in the cooling/transportation process?

Thanks!

• Kirbie replied: — February 23rd, 2012 @ 9:32 am

If you do the double dredge coating like I did, then I think it should survive the experience. Also after that second dredge, it helps if you scoop up a bunch of the bacon breadcrumb mixture and pack it onto the egg rather than just roll it around.