- 8 whole ripe avocados sliced in half length-wise and pits removed
- 8 soft boiled eggs peeled (see note)
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs whisked (for coating)
- oil for pan frying
- Take one of your soft boiled eggs and place it into an avocado half. Make a few marks with a spoon to determine how much avocado flesh needs to be removed to fit the egg snugly inside. Then carve out just enough avocado flesh to fit your egg in. Do the same with the corresponding avocado half. You want to make sure you're going to be able to close the avocado with the egg inside. Repeat with remaining avocados.
- Place eggs into the avocados and close them. Gently peel the skin off of your avocados.
- Place whisked eggs in a wide bowl. Place flour in a separate wide bowl. Place 1 cup of panko in a third separate wide bowl.
- In a large skillet, add between 1/2 inch to 1 inch of oil and bring to medium high heat.
- Holding your avocado closed, coat it with egg and then flour. Then coat with egg again. Make sure that all the loose eggs drippings have dripped off before rolling it in panko because you don't want the panko to get wet. If the panko gets too moist, it won't stick to the avocado. You may need to press on some of the panko to get a thick coating around your avocado. Place avocado into your skillet. Cook on all sides until the exterior is a dark golden brown. Once the coating begins to cook, it should hold the avocado halves together. When avocado is done, let it rest on a plate covered with paper towels to absorb excess oil.
- Repeat with remaining avocados. You can cook a few at a time, depending on how many your skillet will hold. When you run low on panko, add in the second cup. I don't recommend you adding both cups at once because the panko crumbs will eventually get moist from the egg coating and won't stick as well.
- Serve avocados while warm.
I like to use my Instant Pot to cook the eggs - check out my Instant Pot Hard and Soft Boiled Eggs post for more details. For this recipe, I cooked my eggs for 2 minutes.