As a quick announcement, I’ve finally set up a Facebook page! I would appreciate any “likes” if you would like to follow along. Thanks!

I took a little break from my quest to find the ultimate creamy stove top macaroni and cheese recipe. After sticking to a healthier diet for a few weeks, I rewarded myself with another macaroni and cheese recipe. And this is the best one yet in my opinion. In fact, this may be “the one.”

While I was making it, I was thinking that it wasn’t as easy as the Alton Brown recipe, but the end result was worth it. One of the issues I had with previous recipes was that there was just a little too much cheese flavor for me. This recipe uses less cheese, striking the perfect balance for my palate.

The dash of hot pepper flakes and hot sauce added a little kick, making this dish more grown up. Recipe from Evil Shenanigans.

8 Responses to “Macaroni and Cheese Take 3”

1. Sandy — February 9, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Interesting about grating the cheese. My niece and I were wondering why our mac and cheese sauce was grainy, and I can see how the pre-grated cheese would cause this. I’m also not a fan of big cheese flavor, so I’m going to try out this recipe.

• Kirbie replied: — February 9th, 2012 @ 1:02 pm

I found that tidbit interesting too and made sure to fresh grate my cheese for this one.

2. Marissa — February 10, 2012 at 8:11 am

Okay, you’ve got to try this recipe! I was on the search for the perfect mac and cheese too, and then my sister gave me this recipe. I think it’s delish. Let me know what you think if you make it! Sorry it’s so long, lol!

2 cups uncooked macaroni or baby shells
    2-1/2 cups milk, preferably 2 per cent
    1 tbsp Dijon mustard
    1 tsp salt
    Pinch of cayenne pepper
    2 cups grated light cheddar cheese, preferably old
    2 tbsp butter
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour

Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add pasta and cook according to package directions, until al dente, 10 to
    12 minutes.

Meanwhile, position rack on top shelf in oven and preheat broiler to high. In a medium-size bowl, whisk milk with
    Dijon, salt and cayenne. Grate cheese. Melt butter in a large saucepan set over medium heat. Whisk in flour. Mixture
    will be dry and very lumpy. Gradually add milk mixture, a little at a time, whisking constantly between additions to
    beat out any lumps. Stir often until mixture comes to a boil, 3 to 6 minutes. Remove pan from heat and gradually stir
    in 1-1/2 cups cheese. Continue stirring until melted.

When macaroni is cooked, drain well. Do not rinse. Stir into cheese sauce. Mixture will be very creamy and saucy.
    It’s great as is or turn into an 8-inch baking dish. Place on a rimmed baking sheet. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2
    cup cheese. Broil on top rack of preheated oven until cheese melts, about 5 minutes.

• Kirbie replied: — February 10th, 2012 @ 9:53 am

Hi Marissa! thanks for posting this recipe. I’m excited. I love trying out new ones and this one sounds good too.

3. Marissa — February 11, 2012 at 9:36 pm

You’re welcome! I hope you like it. It tastes especially good with some chopped ham or turkey stirred in :)

• Kirbie replied: — February 12th, 2012 @ 2:12 pm

Thanks for the suggestion! I plan on making it sometime this week

4. Alyssa — February 13, 2012 at 7:01 am

I’m a fan of adding red pepper flakes to my pasta, but I’ve never tried hot sauce! I’ll have to try that next time. Thanks for experimenting and finding a great recipe to share!

• Kirbie replied: — February 13th, 2012 @ 2:42 pm

A lot of the recipes I’ve come across add pepper flakes or hot sauce. I like the hot sauce more I think because the spice ends up being more evenly mixed into the sauce.