Thursday, February 23, 2012

Steamed Sausage Biscuit Sandwiches

Aren’t these adorable? They look like mini hamburgers but they are actually steamed biscuits  with sausage patties and cheddar cheese sandwiched in the middle, making them breakfast biscuit sandwiches.

I actually got the idea from a post I saw where someone made burgers with an Asian twist by using chinese steamed buns as the burger buns. Unfortunately, I can’t find the post anymore. I did a search but haven’t been able to find it.

Anyhow, I liked the idea. And then I thought about making a breakfast sandwich. Instead of traditional Chinese steamed buns, I used Pillsbury biscuit dough because I learned a while ago that when they are steamed, they taste remarkably like steamed buns, but more buttery.

I used Pillsbury Grand Jr because I didn’t want enormous buns. I steamed each one for about 8-10 minutes. They came out the perfect size for my sandwich buns. Then I placed a precooked sausage patty in each one and a slice of cheese. And you end up with these fun steamed breakfast biscuit sandwiches. Yummy.

These work for breakfast or as a cute appetizer.

Steamed Breakfast Sausage Biscuit Sandwiches

Yield: 6

6 presliced pieces of Pillsbury biscuit dough (Grands Jr.)
6 slices of cheese
6 precooked sausage patties (I used turkey to be a little healthier)

1. Prepare steamer. Line steamed with parchment paper and place pieces of biscuit dough inside steamer, about 2 inches apart. Steam for about 8-10 minutes until biscuit dough is puffy, white and fully cooked.
2. Remove buns from steamer and then place a sausage patty and cheese slice in the middle of each. Serve while warm.

8 Responses to “Steamed Sausage Biscuit Sandwiches”

molly yeh — February 23, 2012 @ 4:45 pm

i was just thinking of doing this!!! we must be mind readers. i actually made banh mi with steamedbuns the other day… sooo good http://www.mynameisyeh.com/2012/02/chicken-sausage-banh-mi-buns.html

• Kirbie replied: — February 24th, 2012 @ 12:32 am

Oh what a coincidence! The chicken bahn mi with the steamed buns look so cute!

Linda — February 23, 2012 @ 11:15 pm

I wish I had read this earlier, before I went to the grocery store! I definitely have to try this this weekend–looks unique and tasty :) Thank you for sharing!

• Kirbie replied: — February 24th, 2012 @ 12:36 am

I hope you like them!

d — March 5, 2012 @ 6:55 pm

When my mom didn’t feel like making bao (steamed bun) dough, she’d always pick up a can of biscuits!

You could put ground sausage & cheese and fold it up just like a bao; we always add 1/2 a hard boiled egg, too. Breakfast Bao!

• Kirbie replied: — March 6th, 2012 @ 9:33 am

Interesting. I had no idea you could steam biscuit dough into bao until very recently. The breakfast bao sounds good too.

jennifer — March 22, 2012 @ 8:02 am

if I don’t have a steamer, is there a modification?

• Kirbie replied: — March 22nd, 2012 @ 8:22 am

Hmm, well you can sort of make your own steamer with a pot and a plate? If you fill the pot with some water and you can put a plate inside, and put something underneath so that the plate sits above the water, and then you can put the buns on the plate, close the lid on the pot and try steaming that way.