After making the ridiculously easy and amazingly delicious two ingredient flourless Nutella cake, I immediately began thinking of other versions I could make. My first thought was to try a peanut butter one.

Well the first attempt was a disaster. I could tell right away the batter was too thick. The cake came out full of small holes and was not sweet at all. It was so bad, even the puppy wouldn’t touch it.

So I regrouped and tried again, reducing the peanut butter amount and adding sugar to the batter. And this time it was a success. It baked up just like the Nutella cake. While I prefer the Nutella cake, I like the peanut butter one too. And it’s almost just as easy to make.

Print Print Save Save

Three Ingredient Flourless Peanut Butter cake

Prep Time: 10 mins

Cook Time: 22 mins

Total Time: 32 mins

4 eggs
5 ounces peanut butter (weigh this out on a scale)
3/4 cup sugar

1. Grease a 6 or 7 inch round springfoam pan. Then line with parchment paper on sides and on bottom. You need to line with parchment paper because cake will stick even if you grease pan. Greasing it first makes the parchment paper stick better to the pan. Preheat oven to 350F. Beat eggs on highest speed with mixer until triple in volume, about 6 minutes. Make sure you beat the eggs long enough. This cake depends on the egg volume. Add in sugar and beat for another minute.
2. Measure out peanut butter into a glass bowl. Add in 1/3 of the egg mixture. Stir with a spatula in the same clockwise direction until all of the egg is mixed in and no streaks remain. Then add another 1/3 of egg mixture and stir again until no egg streaks remain. Pour in remaining third and make sure to scrape the foam that sticks to the mixing bowl into the batter and stir until no streaks remain. Make sure you are stirring by hand gently and not beating in the peanut butter, otherwise you will deflate the eggs too much.
3. Pour batter into springfoam pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes until knife inserted comes out clean. Let cake cool before cutting and serving.

25 Responses to “3 Ingredient Flourless Peanut Butter Cake”

1. Erin — April 2, 2012 at 5:55 pm

looks good, but isn’t this just a giant cookie? I could see spreading some nutella on it, and topping it with coconut, m&ms, etc, like a cookie pizza. mmm.

• Kirbie replied: — April 2nd, 2012 @ 9:20 pm

Actually the texture is really like a cake. Even though it has no flour. The whipped eggs make it fluffy. I like the idea of topping it with stuff though it would probably have to be after as I think some stuff on top my weigh it down too much and not rise properly.

2. Rachelle — May 30, 2012 at 6:38 am

This is actually the same recipe for 3 ingredient peanut butter cookies except you don’t whip the eggs, I guess that’s where you get the difference in texture. Love your website!

• Kirbie replied: — May 30th, 2012 @ 8:44 pm

I’ve done the peanut butter cookies too. I never thought about them being similar. It’s definitely a different texture because of all the eggs and the whipping.

3. Christine — July 11, 2012 at 8:47 pm

Looks absolutely DELICIOUS and so simple! Do you know if I could mash both your 2/3 ingredient recipes together and make a peanut butter and nutella cake with the same measurements? :)

• Kirbie replied: — July 12th, 2012 @ 10:26 pm

Hmm, it might be a little tricky because I didn’t use the same amounts when I made the PB one compared to the Nutella one because the two spreads have a different consistency.

4. Diane — July 23, 2012 at 10:37 am

I see a jar of Skippy in the pic. Do you think this would work with homemade peanut butter, ie: just peanuts with no oils added, or would that be too thick?

• Kirbie replied: — July 25th, 2012 @ 9:18 am

I dont think it will work the same with homemade peanut butter. I’m sure a version is possible, but you would have to play around with the ratios of the other ingredients.

5. DEBORAH — October 8, 2012 at 2:53 pm

I wonder if you could replace the sugar with splenda or a splenda blend to make it low carb or more diabetic friendly. Looks yummy like it is, though.

• Kirbie replied: — October 8th, 2012 @ 3:10 pm

I think that would work.

6. Nell — December 11, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Made this today with chunnky pb, since the batter is so thin, the chunks of peanuts sinked to the bottom of my pan and made a nut crust lol, it was delicous! Thanks for sharing the recipe

• Kirbie replied: — December 11th, 2012 @ 4:13 pm

Interesting. I never tried with chunky PB but glad it works!

7. Deanna — January 14, 2013 at 2:01 pm

um…there’s a problem with the directions…In the ingredients list there is listed 3/4c sugar, and 4 eggs, and then in step 2 second sentence, you say to add 1/3 egg MIXTURE…um, WHAT egg mixture? Please respond with the instructions for this..
    thanks!

8. Deanna — January 14, 2013 at 2:03 pm

lol…disregard the previous comment…I went back and re-read the instructions, and there it was…the egg/sugar mixture… Sorry. :/

• Kirbie replied: — January 14th, 2013 @ 4:17 pm

Np! good luck with the cake.

9. Trina — March 30, 2013 at 3:59 pm

Intriguing, Kirbie. Thanks for “fiddling” with the recipe. I like peanut butter better than Nutella, and I always have these ingredients on hand.

• Kirbie replied: — March 31st, 2013 @ 7:11 am

Ah, give it a try!

10. Margie — April 10, 2013 at 8:16 am

I would csll this a pie, not a cake. My PB cookies uses 4 ingredients & no flour. Try adding some vanilla next time. It adds flavor. (Cookies: 1 egg, 1 cup PB, 1 cup sugar, 1 tsp. vanilla–roll into balls & flatten on bake sheet w/glass dipped n sugar or w/a fork. Bake @ 325 (preheated)–14-16 min. until lightly brown) I prefer Jiff & sometimes I use the crunchy when I feel like having nuts in my cookies.

• Kirbie replied: — April 10th, 2013 @ 8:19 am

Hmm, well it might be shaped like a pie but it doesn’t have a pie filling. It just tastes like cake to me. Thanks for your PB cookie recipe. I actually have a few flourless PB cookie recipes too.

11. mammie — April 15, 2013 at 3:40 pm

could you use egg substitute?

• Kirbie replied: — April 16th, 2013 @ 12:11 am

No, I don’t think so. You need real eggs for this one.

12. Carolyn — April 20, 2013 at 5:26 pm

Love this. I got peanut butter and eggs from the food bank this month and sugar was on sale.

• Kirbie replied: — April 21st, 2013 @ 12:26 am

Hope you enjoy the recipe!

13. Pat M — September 19, 2013 at 11:06 am

I don’t have a food scale, how much pb is 5 ozs in cups or measuring spoons?

• Kirbie replied: — September 20th, 2013 @ 10:50 am

I’m not sure. Try doing a google search. I’ve found that when I don’t know the conversions, usually someone has done the work somewhere online