You’ll often see Chinese cucumber salad offered as an appetizer at chinese restaurants. The salad consists of crisp, raw cucumber pieces that have been marinated in a blend of soy sauce, wine, vinegar and chilies.

It’s a tasty and addicting appetizer and something my family never ceases to get sick of and continue to get at restaurants even though we also make it at home often. It’s also really easy to make.

Every restaurant that serves it has their own variation on the recipe. It’s a staple at most Taiwanese restaurants, and we had quite a lot of it during our trip last Fall. While I enjoy the version I make at home, the ones we usually have at Taiwanese restaurants always seem to be especially tasty with some extra element that I haven’t been able to recreate at home.

So my brother and I decided to try some new recipes out in order to find one that is most similar to the ones served at the Taiwanese restaurants. I came across this one recipe which looked really promising.

The verdict? While we enjoyed this version and had no problems finishing a large batch, it still didn’t echo the taste of the ones we had at our favorite restaurants in Taiwan. Our search continues, but this is one I’ll revisit. You can view the full recipe here. The only change we made is that we used persian cucumbers.

8 Responses to “Chinese Cucumber Salad”

1. Julie @ Table for Two — June 15, 2012 at 3:20 pm

oh yes! I know EXACTLY what this is and I love it and Jason is SO obsessed with it. thanks for sharing this!!

• Kirbie replied: — June 18th, 2012 @ 8:40 am

Funny how something so simple can be so addicting right?

2. Kirk — June 18, 2012 at 5:18 am

Hi Kirbie – This is great stuff. I make a version of Qiang Huang Hua, Sichuan Spicy Cucumber at home. I estimated that it costs about a buck to make.

• Kirbie replied: — June 18th, 2012 @ 8:36 am

My brother and I have been on a mission, trying out different recipes. It’s definitely cheaper to make at home. Hard to justify getting it when I go out. heh

3. Ann P. — June 19, 2012 at 1:45 pm

This makes me miss my favorite Taiwanese restaurant in my college town!! :( I am greatly anticipating your discovery of the perfect Taiwanese place in San Diego!

• Kirbie replied: — June 20th, 2012 @ 8:39 am

Heh. Unfortunately the pickings in SD are sparse.

4. Anna — September 3, 2013 at 7:41 am

I love the ones at my favorite restaurant, I wanted to make a good size batch. Are these on the sweet side like the ones I love ? these look so good.

• Kirbie replied: — September 5th, 2013 @ 11:01 am

No this one is more savory. Add some sugar and vinegar for the sweet ones.