Sunday, August 12, 2012

1-2-3 Cake

You know how I love my mug cakes…Not only do I like creating my own, but I also like trying recipe ideas from others. For about a month now, this 1-2-3 cake recipe kept coming across my pinterest board. This week, I finally got around to trying it.

It’s meant to be a low calorie/fat type of recipe and it’s really easy to make. You will need to buy angel food mix, which is not something I typically carry in the house.

The recipe only requires three items: water, angel food cake mix and regular cake mix. It only takes one minute to cook in the microwave, and the result is a light, spongy cake.

I chose chocolate cake mix to mix with the angel cake mix. The original recipe requires you to mix both together and then store it to use whenever you feel like making this individual serving. I didn’t want to mix mine all just in case I didn’t like it, so instead I mixed equal portions of the two mixes.

The cake tasted like a chocolate angel food cake. It was really light, airy, not very rich, but then angel food cake usually isn’t. I’m actually not that big of a fan of angel food cake. So I didn’t love love this recipe. But it is a nice quick treat when I’m craving something sweet and don’t want to indulge in too many calories. And it’s really simple to put together–easier than most of my mug cake recipes.

You can view the full recipe here. Note: If you don’t wish to completely combine the two boxes of cake mixes you can take 1 1/2 tbsp of each mix and mix it together and then mix in the water.

6 Responses to “1-2-3 Cake”

Shirley Hale — December 14, 2013 @ 9:00 am

I tried this and it was just a little mess in the bottom of the cup! Tried it more than once, used new cake mixes so what is wrong??

• Kirbie replied: — December 14th, 2013 @ 11:59 pm

I’m not sure where you went wrong. Did you use angel cake mix? Because it has to be angel cake as one of the cake mixes. also did you try microwaving longer until it cooks?

Jo B — December 22, 2013 @ 7:08 am

I have used this recipe for about 1 1/2 years and this little cake has ALWAYS been great! Easy, adaptible, and reliable. My favorite blend uses a yellow butter cake — makes super strawberry shortcakes. Any fruit will work. Or just a dab of coolwhip. Or add a few raisins, a sprinkle of brown sugar; after cooking add bit of butter on top for a nice little “coffeecake”. Great recipe for summer – get a good dessert without adding oven heat to house. A big “Thank You” to the inventor of this!!

• Kirbie replied: — December 22nd, 2013 @ 9:08 am

I love your variations!

Cathy — January 5, 2014 @ 5:11 pm

I tried this and found that my first try was spongy but dry. Also not very chocolatey however, after doubling the recipe (6 TBSP of mix /4 TBSP water and 1 min microwave) and adding a few chocolate chips to the mix it came out like a mini molten lava cake. I also tried adding nutella after cooking which was amazingly good.

• Kirbie replied: — January 6th, 2014 @ 1:42 am

I’ll have to try that out!