Thursday, September 20, 2012

Chocolate Covered Potato Chips

A while back, Trader Joe’s was selling chocolate covered potato chips. After seeing it in their flyer, I immediately went to go get it, only to find they were all sold out.

I remember checking back a few more times and not finding it. I don’t know why I thought of it the other day. And it made me think. Why did I keep looking for it? Why not make my own? It’s just potato chips and chocolate.

So I did. I’m really starting to enjoy making things on my own rather than buying these days. I like having the control of the ingredients I use and being able to make variations I can’t find in store.

For these, I used kettle chips. I love love kettle chips and their extreme crunchiness. They are also sturdier and thicker, so less likely to break. I used the original flavor, and I used semisweet chocolate. But you can use whatever flavor of chips and chocolate you want.

Uneaten ones are best kept in the freezer to keep the chocolate from getting messy. I loved the combination of the crunchy sweet and salty.

Chocolate Covered Potato Chips

1 individual snack bag of kettle chips
1 cup of semisweet chocolate chips

1. Microwave chocolate in microwave glass bowl for 30 seconds. Stir with wooden spoon. Microwave for an additional 30 seconds and mix again. If chocolate still has little lumps, microwave a little longer, but careful not to over cook chocolate. Stir until chocolate is melted and smooth.
2. Dip chips one at a time, until coated in chocolate. Place gently on a sheet of parchment paper. Place in freezer to let chocolate set. Store uneaten chocolate chips in freezer.

10 Responses to “Chocolate Covered Potato Chips”

Mary — September 21, 2012 @ 7:04 am

I kind of like them drizzled with white chocolate, too. Kettle chips are definitely the way to go – crunchier! I’ve had the TJ ones, they’re pretty good – when you don’t feel like making them yourself.

• Kirbie replied: — September 21st, 2012 @ 8:25 am

Ooh drizzling them with white chocolate would make them quite pretty and fancy too! I dont go to TJ often because I tend to buy everything in sight, but the times I’ve gone, they never have it.

Jinxi — September 21, 2012 @ 9:55 am

I’ve tried chocolate-covered Pringles and that worked out pretty well, too. Probably not as crunchy as kettle chips, though. My current TJ addiction is the chocolate-covered pretzel chips, which I guess I can also make at home :P

• Kirbie replied: — September 21st, 2012 @ 11:21 am

My current TJ addiction is dried chili mangoes. Good to know pringles works. I was thinking when I photoed them that I wish I could stack them like pringles, but the kettle ones were all different shapes.

caninecologne — September 21, 2012 @ 1:43 pm

well this recipe is full of WIN!!!!!

so easy to do! omg, if i make this and eat it all, it will go to my @$$!!!! ha ha…

• Kirbie replied: — September 23rd, 2012 @ 8:20 pm

Haha. You’ll be fine. Just make them in small batches!

Tanya @ Playful and hungry — October 16, 2012 @ 10:23 am

And interesting combination… never tried that.
    Not sure whether I’d like it but I’d love to try!

• Kirbie replied: — October 16th, 2012 @ 10:47 am

It’s a great combination! Definitely give it a try.

Bray — February 21, 2013 @ 1:34 pm

“store uneaten chips in the freezer”

How do you manage to have any uneaten chips remaining! This looks amazing

• Kirbie replied: — February 21st, 2013 @ 2:40 pm

Lol. Well I made quite a few so I would have some extra. =)