Thursday, December 27, 2012

Con Pane Rustic Breads & Cafe

Con Pane is my favorite spot in San Diego for French breads.

Upon entering, you are greeted with a display case of fresh breads. In addition to breads, they also offer a cafe menu and some sweets too.

I crammed as much bread into my body as possible when I went to Paris this past summer. One of my favorite memories is visiting this small bakery nearby our hotel, ordering a bunch of fresh baked breads, and just strolling through the streets of Paris munching on a loaf of cheese bread.

On this particular visit we bought some breads to-go.

Epi

I absolutely adore epi bread, which is shaped like stalks of wheat. They are like tiny french bread loaves, though with less of the soft interior and more of the hard and crunchy exterior.

Chocolate bread

The last big loaf of chocolate bread was purchased while I waited in line, so I settled for some mini ones. I’ve been wary of chocolate breads, but I enjoyed this one. The bread itself was mildly sweet and there was a good amount of chocolate stuffed inside.

Gruyere and Chive

This was DH’s favorite. I was hoping we might be able to replicate the experience of the cheese bread we had in Paris, but this one wasn’t the same. It was really good though and this is great for making sandwiches or just eating it on its own.

We were too full this visit to order anything from the cafe section. But we’ll definitely be back again soon.

Con Pane Rustic Breads & Cafe
2750 Dewey Road, Suite 105
San Diego, California 92106
Con Pane Rustic Breads & Cafe on Urbanspoon

16 Responses to “Con Pane Rustic Breads & Cafe”

lorri — December 27, 2012 @ 8:35 am

did you have a chance to taste the sour dough? I have yet to find ANY decent sour dough in San Diego County. I know we don’t have the ‘bacteria’ in the air, to replicate what is made in NorCal. Still…..

• Kirbie replied: — December 27th, 2012 @ 9:38 am

Aw, that’s too bad you haven’t found any decent sour dough in SD. I’m not a huge sour dough bread fan in general, so I didn’t try the sour dough here.

Mary — December 27, 2012 @ 12:05 pm

Oh, they must have started making the mini chocolate loaves recently! They didn’t have those the last time I went (though I haven’t been since the summer). The Almost Grilled Cheese sandwich here is one of my favorite sandwiches in town.

• Kirbie replied: — December 27th, 2012 @ 2:01 pm

I need to try the Almost Grilled Cheese. It’s on my list. I loved the mini chocolate loaves! They had them next to the register.

caninecologne — December 27, 2012 @ 4:34 pm

I will have to go here next time we visit Liberty Station! I love the shape of the epi bread and the chocolate one sounds intriguing to me.

• Kirbie replied: — December 27th, 2012 @ 4:37 pm

I love breaking off the epi breads. I couldn’t even wait till I got home. I ate a few off of one side, then turned it around to take a photo, so you can’t see where they are missing. haha. I liked the chocolate one too.

Brandon @ Kitchen Konfidence — December 27, 2012 @ 6:33 pm

Every time I go to Liberty Station, I need to make a stop at Con Pane. Their sandwiches are SO good. I also love their cookies. Especially the shortbread :)

• Kirbie replied: — December 28th, 2012 @ 9:02 am

I need to try the bakery items next time. Yeah this is a definite stop for me when I’m in Liberty Station too.

Kim — December 28, 2012 @ 8:48 am

I am a big fan of the gruyere and chive too! You have to try the turkey cobb sandwich and also the olive loaf (if you like olives) they are amazing! The cinnamon rolls are heavenly too. You are making me hungry way to early! :-)

• Kirbie replied: — December 28th, 2012 @ 9:04 am

Ooh, thanks for the tips. I’ll definitely have to try those next time. I was staring at the cinnamon rolls for the longest time too.

kristenjames — December 29, 2012 @ 2:01 am

I also love sandwiches & cookies. I will go there next time when we visit Liberty Station!

• Kirbie replied: — December 29th, 2012 @ 10:15 am

I don’t go to Liberty Station much, but there’s so many places now opening in the area, giving more chances to stop by here.

Kay — December 29, 2012 @ 5:01 pm

Yum, that chocolate bread sounds interesting!

• Kirbie replied: — December 30th, 2012 @ 12:22 am

I really enjoyed it. I’ve had chocolate breads that I thought were too sweet or not sweet enough. This was somewhere in the middle and just right for my personal preference.

jenny — December 30, 2012 @ 12:47 pm

I have a sourdough starter that I’ve not been looking after properly, but that makes a pretty decent sourdough.

You should try making epi, its not as hard as I thought, we did it in bread class, maybe a new years resolution :)

• Kirbie replied: — December 30th, 2012 @ 2:35 pm

Hmm, I think I will try to make epi next year. It’s something I’ve thought about, but haven’t really looked into.