Ever since I started making cakes from scratch, I don’t really enjoy cake mix based cakes as much. But I do love using cake mix for other purposes like cookies. I’m always interested in discovering new uses for cake mix and recently was able to make some brownies using cake mix. Of course I had to use my brownie edge pan.

I had some leftover funfetti cake mix so I decided to try a funfetti version. This brownie bakes up really fast. I was surprised to see it done within 15 minutes. The end result is something chewy and still a little fluffy. It looks like small slices of regular funfetti cake but it’s definitely denser and chewier, like brownie mix brownies. I enjoyed it though it was a little on the sweet side, but brownies usually are.

I found some different cake mix brownie recipes after making this one and will need to try those out and find out which one is best. I am happy to have found another use for cake mix though and my friends really enjoyed this one too. If you’re looking for other cake mix recipes, here’s what I’ve made so far:

Red Velvet Chocolate Chip Cookies

Red velvet cookies stuffed with Nutella

Healthier Red Velvet Cookies

Three Ingredient Pumpkin Chocolate Cookies

Two Ingredient Chocolate Coke Cake

Healthier Three Ingredient Chocolate Cake

Double Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies

Three Ingredient Avocado Chocolate Cookies

30 Second Chocolate Cookies

Healthier Three Ingredient Fudgy Chocolate Cookies

Print Print Recipe

Funfetti Brownies

1 box Funfetti cake mix minus 1 cup of cake mix
2 eggs
1/3 cup oil

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9 x 13 inch pan. Mix everything in a large bowl until batter is smooth. The batter will be thick. Press batter into pan and spread evenly. It will be a very thin layer, similar to brownie mix brownies. Bake for 15 minutes. Top of brownie should be set and toothpick inserted should come out clean. Let brownie cake cool before cutting and serving.

Yum

16 Responses to “Funfetti Brownies”

1. caninecologne — January 30, 2013 at 7:05 am

TC and her friend really like that funfetti mix. They made it recently using those mini cupcake makers. The colors are attractive to them but I don’t really like the taste of that particular cake mix flavor.

I like short cuts and have enjoyed the ease of making cookies in a pinch using boxed cake mix (ex: red velvet choc chip cookies).

I’d like to try that Chocolate Coke cake recipe you have…

• Kirbie replied: — January 30th, 2013 @ 10:06 am

I like short cuts too and I like that you end up transforming the cake mix so it doesn’t just taste like cake mix. I actually like eating funfetti cake. Haha. It’s one of the few cake mixes where I’ll actually make cake from.

2. Denise — August 27, 2013 at 10:37 am

what size cake mix did you use?? I have the Betty Crocker Party Rainbow Chip 15.25 oz box and wanted to use that to try this recipe.

• Kirbie replied: — August 27th, 2013 @ 8:59 pm

whatever the standard pillsbury funfetti one is. I believe it’s 18.25 but I’m not positive

3. Ally — March 4, 2014 at 8:06 pm

What could you do with the other 1 cup of cake mix so you don’t waste it?

4. jodi — June 11, 2014 at 3:10 pm

I wonder if I could I use devil’s food cake mix instead of funfetti.

• Kirbie replied: — June 11th, 2014 @ 10:52 pm

i dont see why not

5. Izzy da baker — August 20, 2014 at 12:51 pm

How many minutes will it last? :)

• Kirbie replied: — August 20th, 2014 @ 2:14 pm

i guess that depends on how many people are eating it?

6. Weedon — February 18, 2015 at 3:40 am

Thank you so much for this. I do not remember the last time I baked a cake using a boxed mix. I just tend to not enjoy the out come. But because I do a lot of baking my mother in law tried to feed into my passion (also wanting to indulge in my sweets) so she bought multiple boxes of cake mix not knowing the cake she loves is made from sractch. I am going to try this brownie recipe with a strawberry cake mix I hope it turns out.

• Kirbie replied: — February 18th, 2015 @ 10:48 am

i dont really like baking cake from a mix either, so I try to find other uses for mine like cookies, etc.

7. Emily — March 11, 2015 at 1:50 pm

Do you think i could make these in a 9×9 pan and just bake them longer for a thicker brownie?

• Kirbie replied: — March 12th, 2015 @ 11:17 am

i haven’t tried, so i dont know. i think it should work though there may be a danger of it getting cakey because of the thickness

8. Katie — May 7, 2015 at 3:18 pm

Followed this recipe to a T and it turned out so bad that I had to throw them out. Dry, tasteless, and crumbly. The frosting I covered it in couldn’t disguise it. Couldn’t give them to my friend for her birthday.

• Kirbie replied: — May 7th, 2015 @ 8:49 pm

it sounds like you didnt follow the recipe to a T. perhaps you mismeasured something. Literally just two days ago, someone shared an instagram photo of the funfetti brownies they made from my recipe and were raving about them.