Low Fat Pound Cake

My RSS feed has been flooded with healthy recipes and posts about resolutions to eat better. I’m not really good at dropping sweets my from diet. It just makes me really grumpy and want desserts even more.

So rather drop them cold turkey, I’m still eating my desserts, but trying to lighten some of them up.

This is actually my second attempt at making a low fat pound cake. My first attempt at modifying a recipe did not turn out well. Then I came across this recipe from Bakers Royale and it was much more successful.

The only issue I had was that my cake had a slight indent towards the mid-section, so when I tried to sprinkle the powdered sugar, it hit the top and the bottom, but leaves a ring in the middle that is untouched. Other than that, the cake turned out great. Still a pound cake, but a reduced fat one.

You can view the full recipe on Bakers Royale.

8 Responses to “Low Fat Pound Cake”

1. Jinxi — January 8, 2013 at 10:29 am

I hear ya on those low-fat, healthy, diet recipes all over my feeds… makes me feel a tad guilty when I just polished off a bunch of chocolate my labmate brought in from Germany. Haha.
    Anyway, the pound cake looks great, and the little voice in my head is telling me to buy a bundt pan. I’ve never used cottage cheese in a recipe before actually :P

• Kirbie replied: — January 8th, 2013 @ 10:52 am

Yeah, I didn’t even bother with an eat healthy/exercise more resolution. hehe. But I do feel guilty when I read all this stuff, and I also feel guilty when I’m posting stuff like deep fried pickle chips and fried chicken wings. Lol. So I thought I’d lighten things up. I never enjoyed bundt pans until I started buying Nordicware ones. They cost more but they last forever and the cakes slide out so easily. And they have so many pretty shapes.

2. Kay — January 8, 2013 at 12:07 pm

Pretty!

I try to cut back a little bit, but I’d never try to go cold turkey haha.

• Kirbie replied: — January 9th, 2013 @ 9:20 am

Thanks! I’m happy with how it looks too except for the section that didn’t get any powder sugar. Oh well

3. Carol — January 8, 2013 at 7:44 pm

I love pounds cake but I’ve never made it from scratch. I like the idea of a lower get version and it just looks delicious.

• Kirbie replied: — January 9th, 2013 @ 9:19 am

I’m surprised you’ve never made one from scratch since you’ve tackled so many much harder recipes. I actually don’t really like pound cake but my family loves it.

4. Peggy — January 11, 2013 at 12:48 pm

Yeah, first of the year always brings out the healthier recipes in our repertoire. This pound cake sounds like something we’d love to indulge in!

• Kirbie replied: — January 13th, 2013 @ 8:42 am