I’ve been obsessed with cake mix lately as you may have noticed. I got away from red velvet finally but then I found this lovely strawberry cake mix and thought the pink would also be perfect for the upcoming Valentine’s Day.

I’ve never tried strawberry cake mix until now. It did taste quite like strawberries and the batter is studded with little red specks which I think are supposed to be freeze dried berries. Like all my other cake mix cookies, these are so easy to make and perfect if you in a time crunch.

They are crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside, which is my favorite texture for cookies. You don’t need a mixer, just a large wooden spoon and a large mixing bowl.

Print Print Save Save

Strawberry Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 box strawberry cake mix
halfway in between 1/3 and 1/2 cup oil
2 eggs
1 cup chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line two cookie sheets with silpat mats or parchment paper. Mix cake mix, oil and egg in a large bowl until batter is smooth and no dry cake mix powder remains. Stir in chocolate chips.
2. Take about 2 tbsp dough and form into a ball. The ball should be about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Place on cookie sheet. Repeat with remaining dough about 2 inches apart. Bake about 12 minutes until cookies are set, and edges start to turn a light brown. Let cookies cool on baking sheets and finish setting before removing.

27 Responses to “Strawberry Chocolate Chip Cookies”

1. Elizabeth — February 11, 2013 at 1:39 pm

I love these!
    I make them almost the exact same way except I also add in 1/4 tsp of vanilla and 1tsp of baking powder.
    I’ve made red velvet and white chips and just recently made chocolate with mint baking chips (those are my favorite so far!!!!!)
    These did turn out beautiful! I would suggest everyone trying these at least once

• Kirbie replied: — February 11th, 2013 @ 4:28 pm

Interesting about the addition of baking powder. I would think it might make these cookies overrise, but I’ll try it out sometime!

2. caninecologne — February 11, 2013 at 3:57 pm

those cookies are so lovely!!!!! i used that flavor cakemix before but for cupcakes. that’s a good idea to make them cookies (like the red velvet version). one of my childhood favorites was the cherry chip cake mix (not sure if that’s still out there).

love your food styling! :)

• Kirbie replied: — February 11th, 2013 @ 4:30 pm

Oh I saw the cherry chip one! I thought about using that for Vday also. Aw thanks, I’m trying to learn to do more styles so it’s not always the same thing over and over again.

3. caninecologne — February 11, 2013 at 11:21 pm

The cherry chip flavor is pretty artificial tasting, but I like it!!!!

4. caninecologne — February 11, 2013 at 11:22 pm

i forgot to mention that I have this cheapy brand (from Wal-Mart) of cherry chips. i bought them in desperation last xmas because they ran out of the tri-color holiday chips but ended up not using them in red velvet because i thought red velvet and cherry chips were a wierd combination. i ended up making chocolate chip cookies with chocolate cake mix and used white choc chips and those cherry ones. much better!

• Kirbie replied: — February 12th, 2013 @ 9:33 am

Oh I don’t think I’ve seen the Walmart brand. You know it’s funny you say that about red velvet and cherry. At work we get a red velvet cake every year and for some reason half of the people at my work have no idea what red velvet is. And this one person at my work always describes it as a cherry tasting cake, which makes me cringe every time I hear the description. Sigh. haha

5. lilkunta — February 13, 2013 at 1:31 pm

i am excited to try this. I never thought of making cookies from cake mix but it is a smart idea.

• Kirbie replied: — February 13th, 2013 @ 3:41 pm

Definitely give it a try! There’s so many different flavors you can make. I always have cake mix in the house to make these.

6. lilkunta — February 13, 2013 at 1:38 pm

@ Kirbie ( i dont see a reply to ‘caninecoligne’ so apologies that this is out of order) R V is the cake in the South. I think elsewhere it isnt widely eaten so that is why R V is foolishly called/likened to cherry cake.

• Kirbie replied: — February 13th, 2013 @ 3:41 pm

I know it’s a traditional cake for the South but I feel like it’s become so popular now. I always see red velvet cupcakes at bakeries so I’m surprised my officemates had no idea what red velvet was.

7. Hoover — February 13, 2013 at 9:22 pm

Thank you so much for the great recipe! So simple, my husband made them and they turned out AMAZING!!!!

• Kirbie replied: — February 13th, 2013 @ 11:09 pm

Aw, that’s so great to hear!

8. Leila — September 29, 2013 at 9:39 am

These look amazing and I can’t wait to try this recipe. Can I just ask what strawberry cake mix you used?

• Kirbie replied: — September 29th, 2013 @ 9:08 pm

I think it was Betty Crocker.

9. Ash — February 6, 2014 at 1:22 pm

These are perfect for Valentine’s Day, and a little easier to make than chocolate covered strawberries. They look very pretty too, can’t wait to try making them!

• Kirbie replied: — February 6th, 2014 @ 9:11 pm

I love the pink color for Valentine’s Day!

10. mandamanda — February 9, 2014 at 7:23 am

do you think it’s possible to use applesauce or mashed banana instead of the eggs or oil? I’m not sure if it’ll change how the dough rises or bakes

• Kirbie replied: — February 10th, 2014 @ 1:50 am

I’m not sure as I haven’t tried. I’d imagine it might make them more cakey.

11. CanadianRose — February 10, 2014 at 8:57 pm

I was going to make this on Friday for my boyfriend for Valentines Day. I was going to make them heart shape with a cookie cutter I have.
    Would it be best to just put the dough inside the cookie cutter to get the heart shape (don’t know what the texture of the dough is going to be)? Will the cookies keep the heart shape while baking?

Also, what kind of oil should be used?

Thanks. :-)

• Kirbie replied: — February 11th, 2014 @ 12:49 am

vegetable oil. The cookie dough is pretty sticky so you won’t be able to cut heart shapes. It might work if you leave the cookie cutter on during baking but I don’t know if it form the heart shape as I’ve never tried.

12. KiaMel — February 13, 2014 at 1:37 pm

I made these last night and they were a big hit! I made the recipe above and a “healthier” batch where I used non fat plain greek yogurt instead of oil. The dough was harder to work with so I just spooned them onto the pan in the best circle shape I could. Both recipes tasted great, the no oil one wasn’t as perfectly circular when it was done baking. That was the only real difference. Thanks for posting this recipe!

• Kirbie replied: — February 13th, 2014 @ 2:06 pm

Awesome! So glad they turned out well for you! I like both recipes even though the yogurt one is a little harder to work with

13. CanadianRose — February 14, 2014 at 10:08 am

Just made these and when they came out of the oven, I took my small heart shaped cookie cutter and pressed it into the cookie since they were still warm and soft and cut the hearts that I wanted. Came out really well. Now I have remaining cookie to eat after they were cut out. Hehe

• Kirbie replied: — February 14th, 2014 @ 12:12 pm

Nice! I love eating the scraps. Hehee.

14. Anna — February 23, 2014 at 8:37 am

How many cookies does this recipe yield?

• Kirbie replied: — February 24th, 2014 @ 9:34 am