Strawberry Fruit Roll Ups
Ever since I discovered how ridiculously easy it is to make your own fruit leathers/ fruit roll-ups, it’s my favorite way to use up leftover fruit. Sometimes I overbuy fruit, just so I can make them.
My latest version was with strawberries. Even though the berries are a little bit on the tart side, I found that no additional sugar was necessary. The sugars really come out during the drying process and the fruit leathers ended up being quite sweet all on their own.
It’s a little scary how easily I can gobble these up. It’s almost like eating candy.
I can’t wait until the weather gets warmer and more fruits come in season to work with.
Strawberry Fruit Leather
6 cups of chopped, hulled strawberries
sugar to taste if needed (i didn't add any to mine. the strawberry batter actually gets a little sweeter during the drying process)
1. Blend fruit and sugar (if using) in blender until smooth.
2. Set oven at lowest temperature setting (mine was at 170 F). Line two 13 x 18 baking sheet with Silpat mats.
3. Pour fruit mixture onto silpat mats and spread with the back of a large spoon until the fruit mixture makes a sheet about a 1/8 inch thick across the surface of the silpat.
4. Place baking sheets in the oven and bake for 6-8 hours, until fruit is dry. When you touch it, it should be still a little sticky, but it should be set and solid (not wet) like fruit leather.
5. Let fruit leather cool. Once it is finished cooling, gently peel off the fruit leather from the Silpat. It should come off the mat easily. Cut small pieces of parchment paper (to desired length and width of fruit leather strips you want), then cut fruit leather to slightly under the size of the parchment paper. Place onto parchment paper and roll together. Tie with a string to hold the roll. Repeat with rest of fruit leather. Store in airtight container in a cool space.
All images and content are © Kirbie's Cravings.
Did you make this recipe?
Share it on instagram with the hashtag #kirbiecravings!