Ever since I discovered how ridiculously easy it is to make your own fruit leathers/ fruit roll-ups, it’s my favorite way to use up leftover fruit. Sometimes I overbuy fruit, just so I can make them.

My latest version was with strawberries. Even though the berries are a little bit on the tart side, I found that no additional sugar was necessary. The sugars really come out during the drying process and the fruit leathers ended up being quite sweet all on their own.

It’s a little scary how easily I can gobble these up. It’s almost like eating candy.

I can’t wait until the weather gets warmer and more fruits come in season to work with.

Print Print Recipe

Strawberry Fruit Leather

6 cups of chopped, hulled strawberries
sugar to taste if needed (i didn't add any to mine. the strawberry batter actually gets a little sweeter during the drying process)

1. Blend fruit and sugar (if using) in blender until smooth.
2. Set oven at lowest temperature setting (mine was at 170 F). Line two 13 x 18 baking sheet with Silpat mats.
3. Pour fruit mixture onto silpat mats and spread with the back of a large spoon until the fruit mixture makes a sheet about a 1/8 inch thick across the surface of the silpat.
4. Place baking sheets in the oven and bake for 6-8 hours, until fruit is dry. When you touch it, it should be still a little sticky, but it should be set and solid (not wet) like fruit leather.
5. Let fruit leather cool. Once it is finished cooling, gently peel off the fruit leather from the Silpat. It should come off the mat easily. Cut small pieces of parchment paper (to desired length and width of fruit leather strips you want), then cut fruit leather to slightly under the size of the parchment paper. Place onto parchment paper and roll together. Tie with a string to hold the roll. Repeat with rest of fruit leather. Store in airtight container in a cool space.

14 Responses to “Strawberry Fruit Roll Ups”

1. Jubes — March 21, 2013 at 1:43 am

I might have to try this!
    Strawberries are a buck a pound and this looks delicious.
    Have you tried other fruit and flavour combinations?

• Kirbie replied: — March 21st, 2013 @ 10:07 am

I’ve also done persimmons and mangoes. Both worked really well. I actually preferred those two over the strawberry mainly because those fruits have a pulpier batter that makes the fruit rolls a little more thick. The strawberry was a little thin but still good!

2. Manda — March 21, 2013 at 8:27 am

Have you tried drying/baking the fruit directly onto parchment paper and cutting strips from that? I wonder if the parchment would get all sticky and wrinkly though. Hmm, I should try that out myself.

• Kirbie replied: — March 21st, 2013 @ 10:01 am

I have not. I’m not sure how well it would work. I think using parchment paper to dry the fruit out on may not be sturdy enough and it may stick. The silpat mat works wonders though.

3. lilkunta — March 21, 2013 at 11:28 am

i didnt know it is this easy to make fruit rollups, WOW
    Will this have the house smelling like fruit.
    Only thing is having the oven all for 8hrs… that is alot.

could i make a small bacth in a toaster over ?

• Kirbie replied: — March 21st, 2013 @ 12:17 pm

Yes it is a long time. I’m pretty sure it wont work in a toaster oven. fruit takes a long time to dry and there really is now way to get around the long dehydration period. The good thing is that the oven temp is set so low that I don’t worry about the house burning down if I go out of the house for a bit. So sometimes I do it in the morning, and just remember to set an alarm to turn it off in the evening

4. meatballs & milkshakes — March 21, 2013 at 1:00 pm

Fantastic idea, I can’t wait to try it out this weekend!

• Kirbie replied: — March 21st, 2013 @ 2:45 pm

Hope you enjoy!

5. Peggy — March 26, 2013 at 9:29 am

What an easy little snack!

• Kirbie replied: — March 26th, 2013 @ 11:13 am

Definitely!

6. Mary Ellen — May 19, 2013 at 3:39 pm

Putting these in the oven now and setting my oven timer for 6 hours. I can’t wait to sample them and see how they turn out! I added only a tsp of honey to mine, thanks to your caution about the strawberry leathers sweetening as they dry. I’ve been eager to make leathers and with the 3 cups of organic strawberries I got in my CSA this week. I decided to give it a try!

• Kirbie replied: — May 20th, 2013 @ 8:44 am

Hope you like it! I’m addicted to making fruit rolls.

7. Ronie — July 30, 2013 at 1:52 pm

I have seen a lot of recipes that says cook the fruit. Is cooking it not required prior.to.baking it.for this one.

• Kirbie replied: — July 30th, 2013 @ 10:06 pm

Nope, cooking is not needed. I’ve seen a lot that require cooking and then found ones that didn’t. So I tried it without the cooking and it still comes out great.