Monday, December 16, 2013

Macaron Brick Toast

Over Thanksgiving weekend, I went to a cafe in the Bay Area that offered a Macaron Brick Toast (post to come). I, of course, had to order it. And when I got home, I immediately wanted to replicate it.

For those unfamiliar, brick toast is a popular Taiwanese snack. Thick slices of bread are slathered with either condensed milk or a sugar butter mixture and then toasted until the sugar camarlizes. The bread is usually cut into smaller squares to make it easier to eat. It looks something like this. A newer style of brick toast involves using a giant “brick” of bread. The inside pieces are individually toasted and then stacked back into the brick. It is then topped with ice cream, fruit, cookies, or whatever else you desire.

It wasn’t too hard to make, especially since I’ve made this type of brick toast several times here and here. I topped it with a variety of French macarons, pirouette cookies and salted caramel hazelnut ice cream.

The macarons came from Costco. They recently started carrying them in their refrigerated items section, usually near the tofu and deli meats.

The ice cream was from Tillamook. It’s a new flavor that I was provided a complimentary sample of and I really loved it. I already enjoy salted caramel and the addition of the little crunchy bits of hazelnuts make it even better.

This was delicious, even on a cold winter day.

To make this, you’ll need a loaf of unsliced white bread. I usually buy the Cherry Blossom loaves baked and sold at Nijiya market.

Macaron Brick Toast

1 unsliced fresh loaf of white bread
1/4 cup condensed milk
3 French macarons
2 pirouette cookies
4 scoops of ice cream (I used salted caramel)
chocolate syrup

1. Slice off approximately 4 1/2 inches of the bread loaf, or whatever size you desire your brick toast to be.
2. Using a long bread knife, cut a square into your brick. Leave about 1/4 inch from the four edges and bottom. Make sure not to cut all the way through to the bottom. Using your hand, carefully slip into one side until you reach near the bottom and pull out the entire inner square in one piece.
3. Take inner square and cut into smaller, bite-size brick pieces.
4. Spread condensed milk on all sides of the brick pieces except one. Spread condensed milk on the inner four edges of the large square toast.
5. Preheat the oven to 375F. Place brick pieces and the large square toast on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Place brick pieces so they lay on the side without any condensed milk. Place baking sheet into the oven and toast for approximately 10 minutes until all the brick pieces are caramelized and toasted and so are the top edges of the larger brick. Remove from oven and assemble and stack bricks back into the large square. Then top with ice cream, macarons, toppings of your choice. Drizzle with chocolate syrup and serve immediately.

12 Responses to “Macaron Brick Toast”

leanne — December 16, 2013 @ 9:40 am

How are the macarons from Costco? Decent? Better than the frozen ones at Trader Joe’s?

• Kirbie replied: — December 16th, 2013 @ 5:46 pm

I actually prefer the TJ ones. The Costco ones have a good texture but the shells lack a lot of flavor.

Beth — December 16, 2013 @ 10:28 am

The ice cream looks amazing. Where did you find it?

• Kirbie replied: — December 16th, 2013 @ 5:46 pm

Tillamook ice cream is sold at grocery stores, like Vons. I think they have store finder on their website.

Jinxi — December 16, 2013 @ 3:29 pm

Ooh this looks so amazing. How are the Costco macarons compared with Trader Joe’s?

• Kirbie replied: — December 16th, 2013 @ 5:48 pm

I prefer TJ’s. The Costco ones look prettier and you can eat them right away instead of defrosting, but the shells don’t have enough flavor for me.

caninecologne — December 16, 2013 @ 3:43 pm

Seriously, this has everything I like in a dessert!!! Tillamook ice cream is so good too – if you ever go up to Oregon, you guys should go to their factory. Free cheese samples, a tour, and also an eatery downstairs (plus ice cream). The hazelnut is the state nut of Oregon.

I haven’t checked our Costco if they have those macarons, but I will have to check soon! How much was one box?

• Kirbie replied: — December 16th, 2013 @ 5:50 pm

I definitely want to visit the factory! I’ve heard such good things about it. $10.99 for the Costco macs

Sandy — December 16, 2013 @ 8:11 pm

All I could focus on was “they now have macarons at Costco?” :-) I will have to try them soon and make my comparison to the Trader Joe’s macarons. I like the TJ variety pack, and I swear the flavors in the 12 count box are different than the ones they had earlier in the year.

• Kirbie replied: — December 17th, 2013 @ 10:31 am

Hi Sandy! I was just thinking of you because I saw some Sanrio/HK decals. Haha. Yeah I was so excited to see the macarons at Costco! Funny enough, Mr. K was the one who saw them. I was totally oblivious. They are worth a try since they are cheap. And YES, the 12 pack variety has changed from earlier this year. My fav from the 12 variety before was cassis and it’s not in this new one and some other flavors are diff too. I liked the original variety pack more, I think. Though I haven’t tried them all yet.

A — January 2, 2014 @ 8:29 pm

Hi! Is there a specific store that you purchased the ice cream at? I’ve tried searching for it at a few local Vons stores, but this particular flavor seems hard to find. Thanks!

• Kirbie replied: — January 3rd, 2014 @ 12:08 am

It’s a fairly new flavor, which means probably not all the stores have it yet. I think if you give it a month or so, you will probably see it at your local Vons.