I haven’t had shrimp toast since I was a kid. And even then, I’ve only ever had it at restaurants.

A few weeks ago when I was watching The Taste, one of the contestants made shrimp toast and I was suddenly reminded of this dish I hadn’t thought of in years, which made me want to try making it.

The recipe starts with a shrimp mousse which is actually just a few ingredients ground up in a food processor. Then you place spread it on the toast, dip it in breadcrumbs and fry it. And you’re done. Easy!

I remember loving these as a kid but I was afraid it was one of those dishes I might have grown out of. But it turns out, I still really enjoy it! The exterior is crunchy, the inside is filled with a soft shrimp mix. I can’t believe I hadn’t thought to make this sooner. I’ll definitely be making them again.

I love the toast side of these. They are so perfectly golden!

For this recipe, I adapted recipes found on Use Real Butter and The Way to His Heart, along with incorporating memories of the ones I ate as a child.

Print Print Recipe

Shrimp Toast

1/2 lb shrimp, unpeeled and de-veined
1 egg
pinch of salt
2 scallions, finely chopped
5 slices of white bread, crusts removed, cut into triangles (4 triangles per slice of bread)
1 cup bread crumbs
oil for frying

1. Pulse shrimp, egg and salt in food processor until mostly smooth though some lumps in the shrimp mousse is fine. Add in scallions and pulse again just until the scallions are incorporated.
2. Spread shrimp mousse on top of each triangle, making sure to spread evenly across.
3. Add oil to pot being used for frying, about 1 inch deep. Bring oil to a medium high heat. Dip shrimp mousse side of toast into breadcrumbs, so that it covers the shrimp mousse. Place toast into hot oil, frying the shrimp side first. When it turns golden, turn it to the other side and fry until toast side is also golden. You can cook a few at a time. Serve warm. You can garnish with fresh herbs like scallions or parsley.

10 Responses to “Shrimp Toast”

1. Sandy — March 24, 2014 at 6:34 am

I haven’t made shrimp toast in forever! Thanks for the reminder – it really is easy to make.

• Kirbie replied: — March 24th, 2014 @ 9:08 am

oHehe, you’re welcome! I haven’t though about these in years! I rarely see it offered anymore

2. Mary — March 24, 2014 at 8:22 am

Huh, I have never heard of or had shrimp toast before. Looks really easy and sounds really tasty! I like how golden brown these look.

• Kirbie replied: — March 24th, 2014 @ 9:13 am

You know I haven’t seen it offered on menu in years. But maybe I haven’t been paying attention. I remember it being very popular when I was a kid.

3. Darlene — March 24, 2014 at 2:16 pm

I’ve heard of shrimp toast but it seems I’ve never had it in my life. Your version looks great! I’ll have to remedy it and try your recipe soon.

• Kirbie replied: — March 25th, 2014 @ 12:25 am

I’m wondering why this dish seems to have dropped off. It is quite yummy! I came across a few different versions, but the way I remembered it as a kid, it was completely fried looking piece of toast, no sesame seed crust or anything, so that’s how I made mine.

4. Katherine — March 25, 2014 at 8:59 am

i have never had these / they look enticing / i just happen to have some shrimp, some green onions, and some panko crumbs / watch out, Kitchen, here i come!

• Kirbie replied: — March 25th, 2014 @ 10:13 am

I hope you love this as much as I do!

5. Norma | Allspice and Nutmeg — March 25, 2014 at 12:17 pm

I’ve never made shrimp toast, but I sure remember the first time I ate it. I loved it. Now I have a recipe. Thanks!

• Kirbie replied: — March 25th, 2014 @ 1:49 pm

I remember my first time too! So glad to recreate memories again with this.