This single serving Nutella mug cake is ridiculously easy to make with just 3 ingredients. It’s rich, dense, chocolatey and everything a flourless cake should be.

You may recall earlier last year I posted my 2 Ingredient Flourless Nutella Mug Cake, a recipe I created for my 5-Minute Mug Cakes cookbook. It remains one of my favorite recipes to date, but a lot of readers were avoiding it because the recipe requires the cake to rest for several hours (even though it only takes 5 minutes to make).

Well, I listened and set about creating a version that doesn’t need a long wait time. This cake only requires you to wait 15 minutes. You can do that right?

It took quite a few tries and the opening of a new jar of Nutella, but I did it. I confess, I adore opening a new jar of Nutella. Whoever came up with the packaging is genius, using that gold foil seal. Every time I open it, it’s like tearing into a present.

This version is little more chocolate intense and not as Nutella-y as the original 2 ingredient version, but it’s delicious and the trade-off is that you can eat it right away.

The cake is not overly sweet, tasting like melted dark bittersweet chocolate. If you like yours to be more sugary, you can always drizzle some chocolate syrup on top. I topped mine with a simple powdered sugar.

Because this cake is so rich, the portion is small. When the cake cooks, it will rise quite a bit so you’ll need to cook it in an oversized mug. After it’s done cooking, it starts to shrink down and condense. Once you let it settle for a few minutes, you can scoop it out and plate it in smaller mugs or dessert plates. I bought these adorable espresso sized mugs to plate mine in.

Update: I recently did a video showing how easy this cake is!

STAY CONNECTED!

Twitter Facebook | Instagram Pinterest

NEVER MISS A POST!

RSS | Email | Bloglovin

Print Print Recipe

3 Ingredient Flourless Nutella Cake

• 1/4 cup Nutella
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 tbsp dutch processed cocoa powder

1. Combine all ingredients in an oversized microwave-safe mug. Mix vigorously with a small whisk until batter is smooth and egg has been completely mixed in.

2. Cook in microwave for about 1 minute 10 seconds. Cake should be set but may be slightly wet on top. Let cake cool for 15 minutes before serving. Cake will condense down during this cooling process. You can replate in a smaller mug/plate/ramekin before serving. You can top with powdered sugar or chocolate syrup.

If you enjoy this recipe, check out my cookbook and these other recipes!

5-Minute Mug Cakes cookbook

2 Ingredient Flourless Nutella Cake

3 Ingredient Nutella Brownie Cake

4 Ingredient Nutella Mug Cake

4 Ingredient Flourless Chocolate Cake

Yum

32 Responses to “3 Ingredient Flourless Nutella Mug Cake”

1. June Burns — March 10, 2015 at 11:45 pm

Mmm that sounds amazing! So rich and chocolaty. Love how easy it is, too :)

• Kirbie replied: — March 11th, 2015 @ 8:51 am

I hope you give it a try!

2. Dew Priestly — March 17, 2015 at 2:40 pm

I have tried many chocolate mug cakes and this tastes just as good as the rest of them. I was a bit sceptical of a gluten free cake but the flavour and texture is all there. And its so much easier with only 3 ingredients

• Kirbie replied: — March 18th, 2015 @ 8:37 am

so glad you enjoyed it!

3. Jasmine — March 29, 2015 at 9:08 am

This is a great recipie! Made them and gluten free too, loved them! :)

• Kirbie replied: — March 29th, 2015 @ 8:33 pm

that’s so great!

4. Dorothy Esson — June 29, 2015 at 1:35 am

This looks super yummy, and so fast for a quick treat!  Unfortunately, I’ve just sold my ancient microwave and still haven’t bought a new one yet….is it possible to cook this in the oven?

• Kirbie replied: — June 29th, 2015 @ 8:38 am

I don’t think it will work in the oven.

5. Jamie — July 10, 2015 at 9:58 am

This looks soooo good and sounds so easy too, which is always a plus. Can I use natural cocoa powder instead of the dutched one?

• Kirbie replied: — July 10th, 2015 @ 11:10 pm

i think that would be okay but I haven’t tried

6. Emma — July 12, 2015 at 3:26 am

Just made this and it was nice. Is it meant to be a fudgy texture?

• Kirbie replied: — July 13th, 2015 @ 8:16 am

yup!

7. Nathalie — September 29, 2015 at 7:08 pm

I tried this recipe, but the batter never grew as a cake, but just got spilled in the mug, very strange. Is there any trick?

• Kirbie replied: — September 29th, 2015 @ 9:48 pm

make sure you thoroughly mix the batter with a whisk. The egg has to be completely mixed in. You should spoon up the batter a few times and make sure there are no unmixed egg streaks. Also, you are cooking this in the microwave right? because it won’t work the same in an oven.

8. Samantha — November 7, 2015 at 1:46 pm

I live in a dorm and I have carnation instant breakfast chocolate powder. How much of a bad idea would it be to use that instead of buying cocoa powder? (college kid budget)

• Kirbie replied: — November 8th, 2015 @ 11:53 pm

I’ve never used instant breakfast chocolate powder before, but I think it could work

9. Hannah — January 10, 2016 at 10:08 am

Didn’t have enough nutella for a cake, substituted peanut butter instead and drizzled nutella on top. Delicious! :)

• Kirbie replied: — January 10th, 2016 @ 10:21 pm

awesome!!

10. rhina — January 10, 2016 at 4:52 pm

Kudos for posting this amazingly easy and delicious recipe. The hardest part is to let the mug cake rest for 15 minutes ???? delish!

• Kirbie replied: — January 10th, 2016 @ 10:24 pm

so glad you like it! =)

11. lisa — January 23, 2016 at 5:26 pm

Don’t you need to grease the sides of the mug?
    What setting on the microwave, i.e., HIGH?

• Kirbie replied: — January 25th, 2016 @ 10:35 am

you don’t need to grease it. the cake will pull away from the edges of the mug on its own. Also, not sure where you are writing from, but I just used the full regular power on my microwave, no need to adjust setting.

12. Dani — March 11, 2016 at 7:49 pm

this was sooo good… I always go to your blog if i want to make a mug cake and I’ve never been disappointed : D

• Kirbie replied: — March 14th, 2016 @ 9:03 am

aww, thank you for the very kind words!!

13. Grace Pita — March 16, 2016 at 9:30 pm

I love how it’s so easy but mine didn’t rise. It raised in the microwave but went back down. Is there a way I can make it better?

• Kirbie replied: — March 17th, 2016 @ 11:11 am

Hi, you can try to cook it a little longer. Yours might have needed some more time in the microwave. However, keep in mind this cake is supposed to rise and then condense back down. Much like other flourless cakes, it should be more dense than fluffy. I describe the size more in detail in my post. After I cooked it, I then put them into espresso mugs for plating because they do shrink quite a bit. You can see the photo of it on the plate to get an idea of how tall it was once it was done shrinking.

14. fy — May 14, 2016 at 1:21 pm

this is delicious thank you for this flourless recipe

• Kirbie replied: — May 16th, 2016 @ 10:02 am

yay! You’re welcome!

15. Mara — June 22, 2016 at 12:06 pm

Thank you for posting this! It was surprisingly good!

• Kirbie replied: — June 23rd, 2016 @ 9:56 am

I’m so happy you enjoyed it!

16. Veena — July 28, 2016 at 8:22 am

Hii! I’ve recently started experimenting with baking / microwave mug cake recipes…this is THE ONLY recipe so far that has gone into my personal reference cookbook :-) thank you so much for sharing…amazingly simple to make! And it’s just too delicious for words! I topped it with some condensed milk (ouch my diet!)…to heaven and back! Yum!????

• Kirbie replied: — July 28th, 2016 @ 9:50 am

yay!!! Hope you’ll try out some of my others!