This is a great low carb solution that still allows you to enjoy a comforting grilled cheese sandwich.

Yes, we’re still eating a ton of cauliflower at home. We also eat a lot of grilled cheese sandwiches, so this combines the best of both worlds.

Mr. K and I have consumed a ridiculous amount of cheese this year, mainly from grilled cheese sandwiches and cauliflower creations. I didn’t realize how much cheese we were eating until I was rummaging through the fridge and realized we were down to our last bar of Cabot cheese. This is particularly alarming because in March, I won $150 worth of Cabot cheese in a raffle contest, half of which was shipped to me at the end of March and half to be shipped to me in October. We’re still two months away from October and I’m already almost completely out of my first shipment of cheese. Eeek.

It was worth using up some premium cheddar cheese on these sandwiches though. They are so flavorful and the cauliflower crust holds up rather well. I can’t claim credit for this genius creation. It came from The Iron You and he basically took the method for making cauliflower pizza crust or cauliflower breadsticks and made them into bread slices instead. I made some tweaks to the recipe and methodology and my adapted method is below.

STAY CONNECTED!

Twitter Facebook | Instagram Pinterest

NEVER MISS A POST!

RSS | Email | Bloglovin

Print Print Recipe

Cauliflower Crusted Grilled Cheese Sandwiches

Yield: 2

•  1 head of cauliflower,  cut into small florets and stem removed
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
  • 1 tsp Italian herb seasoning
  • 2 thick slices of white cheddar cheese

1. Preheat oven to 450F. Place cauliflower into food processor and pulse until crumbs about half the size of a grain of rice.

2. Place cauliflower into large microwave safe bowl and microwave for 2 minutes. Your cauliflower should be soft and tender (and hot!).

3. Stir cauliflower to mix up the bottom and top cauliflower. Place back into the microwave and cook for another 3 minutes. (If you don't want to use the microwave to dry out the cauliflower and prefer to steam and wring with a cloth to dry, check out my wringing instructions here.) Remove and stir again so that all the cauliflower cooks evenly. Place back into microwave and cook for 5 minutes. At this point, you should see the cauliflower is starting to become more dry. Microwave for another 5 minutes. Cauliflower should still be slightly moist to the touch, but should look dry and clumped up (like photo above; similar to as if someone had chewed it up and spit it back out.) If you've made cauliflower pizza or breadsticks with the cloth wringing dry method, it should look the same.

4. Add in egg, parmesan and seasoning. Stir to combine until smooth paste forms. Divide dough into 4 equal parts. Place onto large baking sheet lined with parchment paper or silpat mat. Using your knuckles and fingers, shape into square bread slices about 1/2 inch thick. Bake cauliflower bread for about 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool a few minutes.

5. Using a good spatula, carefully slide cauliflower bread off of parchment paper. Now you are ready to assemble your sandwiches. Normally I make grilled cheese sandwiches on a pan, but since the cauliflower crust is more delicate, I didn't want to risk it breaking with too many flips on the stove. Instead, make 2 cauliflower sandwiches by adding a slice of cheese in between each pair of bread slices. Place sandwiches into toaster oven and broil for several minutes (5-10) until cheese is completely melted and bread is toasty. If you don't own a toaster oven, you can also do this in the oven.

Adapted from The Iron You

Related Recipes

Check out all my cauliflower recipes here!

Cauliflower Breadsticks

Cauliflower Pizza Crust

Yum

49 Responses to “Cauliflower Crusted Grilled Cheese Sandwiches”

1. Carolyn @ Cabot Cheese — August 25, 2015 at 12:47 pm

Oh no…..low on Cabot! October is just around the corner! Low carb or not-this is a great idea and I cannot wait to try it!~Carolyn @ Cabot

• Kirbie replied: — August 25th, 2015 @ 12:54 pm

Cabot cheese is so good! probably part of why I’m almost out is that I keep just eating it by itself!

2. Lindsey — August 29, 2015 at 7:45 pm

You never said when to use the Parmesan.

• Kirbie replied: — August 30th, 2015 @ 11:12 pm

so sorry about that! It is supposed to be added with the eggs and seasoning

3. Nina — October 29, 2015 at 9:04 am

Can I use the oven instead of the microwave to heat up the cauliflower?

• Kirbie replied: — October 31st, 2015 @ 3:39 pm

If you look at my instructions, i do have a method for not using microwave, where you cook and then wring it dry. it’s going to be a lot harder and longer to get the cauliflower completely dry with the oven

4. Tasha — January 28, 2016 at 12:54 am

I see this every time I log into Pinterest! It looks absolutely delish! I’m super excited to try it out. Hope you don’t mind I linked to it on my blog! http://ketogasm.com/cauliflower-low-carb-vegetable/

5. Janet — January 28, 2016 at 6:06 am

What is the carb per sandwich?

• Kirbie replied: — February 1st, 2016 @ 12:43 am

there are several sites out there that calculate nutritional value of recipes such as caloriecount.com, so you can try using those sources to figure it out. hope that helps!

6. TracyKM — February 11, 2016 at 6:02 am

I tried this last night, and had some questions. The ingredients say 1 egg, but the instructions say “eggs” and one of your comments here says to add the parmesan “with the eggs”. So….how many eggs?

Can the steamed cauliflower be frozened? Or the “bread”?

I spread the puree in a fairly thin layer over my Silpat sheet, then make cut lines with a knife. After baking the recommended time, I gently flipped the pieces over. After baking longer, I put it under the broiler for a few minutes. I left it on the tray over night, but I should have put them on a cooling rack to air dry a bit. However, I was still able to pan fry it. My daughter and I had some for breakfast and it was really good!

• Kirbie replied: — February 12th, 2016 @ 9:45 am

yikes, sorry about that! it is indeed just 1 egg! I’ve corrected the directions section to reflect that. I haven’t tried freezing the cauliflower bread of the the cooked cauliflower before, so unfortunately I don’t know the answers to those questions.

7. lollorosso — February 15, 2016 at 8:40 pm

How long do these last in the fridge? Do you think they can be frozen and reheated?

• Kirbie replied: — February 17th, 2016 @ 9:48 am

I haven’t tried it, but I think that should be fine! you might want to reheat in oven or toaster oven

8. Savannah — February 18, 2016 at 8:16 am

Hey Kirbie,
    Thank you so much for sharing this AWESOME recipe! It really does look delicious. I’ve tried cauliflower mash before, and we LOVED it, so I’m sure this is even better. I had no idea cauliflower would hold together so well-I am really excited to give this one a try <3

• Kirbie replied: — February 18th, 2016 @ 10:12 am

hope you enjoy!

9. Robin — February 19, 2016 at 7:29 pm

Crazy question… Does the cauliflower have that distinct cooked cauliflower smell when microwaved and dried? I love raw cauliflower (and broccoli) but can’t stand the smell of either when cooked.

• Kirbie replied: — February 22nd, 2016 @ 9:10 am

Yes it does have the smell of cooked cauliflower.

10. shawna — February 26, 2016 at 4:31 pm

I’ve experimented with cauliflower pizza but have used almond flour too. What do you suggest for preventing the bread from sticking while cooking because of the cheese?

• Kirbie replied: — February 29th, 2016 @ 10:13 am

the parchment paper should keep it nonstick

11. LouAnn Livengood — February 28, 2016 at 1:34 pm

LOVED THESE!! I just made these for the 1st time & loved them! I didn’t have any white cheddar so I used slices of velveeta. I will definitely be making these again! Gotta get me some white cheddar!!

• Kirbie replied: — February 29th, 2016 @ 10:01 am

yum, that sounds delicious!

12. laurasmess — March 2, 2016 at 7:22 pm

Just found this on pinterest and oh my gosh… cauli crust or not, this looks amazing. I love that golden crisp that you’ve got on the outside of the cauliflower *insert heart eye emoji*
    You have a lovely blog here Kirbie, I can’t wait to read more :)

• Kirbie replied: — March 3rd, 2016 @ 1:14 am

13. Jules — March 4, 2016 at 11:14 am

They turned out perfectly!  I could lift them easily and think I would melt the cheese in a fry pan next time.  Thanks for sharing this great recipe, one sandwich is VERY filling.

• Kirbie replied: — March 5th, 2016 @ 10:07 pm

yay!! so glad you liked =)

14. Janet Chance — March 12, 2016 at 10:23 am

Just made this for breakfast with a bit of ham and gruyere.  It was fabulous!
    Next time I am going to try to measure before I make the slices so I can get a more predictable slice size and carb count.  Thanks for figuring it out.

• Kirbie replied: — March 14th, 2016 @ 9:02 am

Ham and gruyere sounds so delicious with these!

15. Susan — April 24, 2016 at 9:32 am

Yummy! I needed to use leftover cauliflower and came across this. Ok, I should have started it well before I did. It does take awhile to make but I followed your recipe and Love it! Who knew!?

• Kirbie replied: — April 25th, 2016 @ 8:37 am

So glad you enjoyed it! The first time it took me awhile to get the hang of it, but after you’ve done it once, I think the recipe should go much faster!

16. Ms — April 25, 2016 at 12:48 am

Hi, the link for the method of steaming and drying the cauliflower (we don’t have a microwave) doesn’t work.

17. Harry — April 25, 2016 at 9:59 am

Thank you KIRBIE i just made this for us and it was absolutely magnificently Delicious!!!! Super thank you for this amazing recipe!!!!!!!1st time and i can confess i am addicted!!!!!!

• Kirbie replied: — April 25th, 2016 @ 10:07 pm

I’m so excited to hear that!!! Thanks for letting me know =)

18. Kelly — April 25, 2016 at 11:38 am

Can you use frozen cauliflower to start with? I can’t wait to try this!

• Kirbie replied: — April 27th, 2016 @ 8:27 am

I haven’t tried, but I think so! you might have to spend more time drying the cauliflower if it’s frozen though, so keep that in mind!

19. Christine Ventura — May 2, 2016 at 9:59 am

If using the microwave steam in bag cauliflower, do you suggest I follow the directions on the bag then put it in the food processor and continue the steps for this recipe? The cauliflower becomes somewhat soft. Or should I process it frozen, or maybe just steam it for a minute or two instead of the full 5 so that it’s still hard?

• Kirbie replied: — May 2nd, 2016 @ 1:14 pm

Hi Christine- When you say bag cauliflower, are you talking about the frozen cauliflower that is already riced or a bag of frozen cauliflower florets? I haven’t worked with frozen prepackaged cauliflower yet, but I would think that you would just open the cauliflower, pulse in food processor if it’ not already finely riced, and follow the recipe and don’t do anything on the bag to cook it. The cauliflower will get cooked in the microwave first and then slowly get dehydrated as you continue to cook it longer. Your cooking time will probably be more or less depending on the kind of prepackaged cauliflower you are using, so don’t completely rely on the times set in the recipe. if it’s frozen raw cauliflower, i think it will take longer to dehydrate. if it’s already cooked frozen cauliflower, it will probably take less time. hope this helps!

20. lulu — June 1, 2016 at 2:07 pm

this recipe looks wonderful and i will try it. however, i think since this is food based you could have used a more appetizing analogy than “Cauliflower should still be slightly moist to the touch, but should look dry and clumped up (like photo above; SIMILAR TO AS IF SOMEONE HAD CHEWED IT UP AND SPIT IT BACK OUT.)” c’mon really?

• Kirbie replied: — June 1st, 2016 @ 11:09 pm

I don’t often mix unappetizing images or thoughts with food posts, but in this case, it is what I believe to be the best description of what the end result is supposed to look like. And I think having the most accurate description is best otherwise it can be confusing for someone making it for the first time.

21. wendi — June 4, 2016 at 12:38 pm

These look so good. Can these be frozen for later use?

• Kirbie replied: — June 6th, 2016 @ 11:33 pm

I have not tried freezing them

22. [email protected] freeA-Z Blog — June 21, 2016 at 4:41 am

I thought I knew all of the recipes for cauliflower mock dishes! This is fabulous – thanks

• Kirbie replied: — June 22nd, 2016 @ 8:42 am

hope you enjoy!

23. Melissa Broussard — June 21, 2016 at 7:47 am

Kirbie
    I don’t like cauliflower at all but I do eat low carb and this looks amazing, I love grilled cheese sandwiches so this will take out all the carbs I get with the regular one, the carbs will come in with the cheese and herb seasoning which is it a dry season or a liquid so I think it would be real low. Now I am from Louisiana and you saying chewing it and spitting it out didn’t bother me one bit because your not telling people to do that but only that it looks like that.

• Kirbie replied: — June 21st, 2016 @ 11:56 pm

Thank for your comment! The herb seasoning is a dry mix. I’m glad you weren’t bothered by that description because I wasn’t either. It was the first I’ve heard of someone being upset by it!

24. Kelli — August 2, 2016 at 1:00 pm

I made these today and I absolutely loved them! Actually my whole family said that they tasted like normal sandwiches (maybe even better :))

• Kirbie replied: — August 2nd, 2016 @ 9:22 pm

oh yay! So glad your family liked them so much!

25. Betsy — August 8, 2016 at 11:33 am

Kirbie, this looks amazing! Thank you for sharing! I just recently started a low-carb diet and I see a lot of recipes using cauliflower as a substitute for bread or potatoes. Do you think other vegetables can be used instead of cauliflower, like broccoli for example?

• Kirbie replied: — August 9th, 2016 @ 8:53 am

I have not tried, but I think it should work. You may have to tweak the other ingredients a little.