Grilled cheese sandwiches are kicked up a notch with the addition of pepperoni slices, mozzarella cheese, and marinara sauce, creating pizza grilled cheese sandwiches.
I love grilled cheese sandwiches and pizza, so why not combine them? This pizza grilled cheese sandwich has the best of both – melty cheese, pepperoni, and sauce on grilled bread.
This is the kind of thing I want to eat on a cloudy day, which is how it’s been here in San Diego lately. So, we’re taking a slight break from the healthy recipes and enjoying these sandwiches instead.
- Sliced French bread
- Sliced mozzarella cheese – you can use fresh mozzarella or low-moisture mozzarella.
- Marinara sauce or pizza sauce
What’s fun about this recipe is that you can add or swap ingredients for other kinds of pizza toppings. I think peppers, olives, sausage, mushrooms, onions, and other kinds of cheese like provolone would work great, too.
How to Make Pizza Grilled Cheese
Butter one side of each slice of bread. Turn the slice butter-side down on the cutting board and top it with the cheese, sauce, and pepperoni. Place another slice of cheese on top.
Place the other piece of bread, butter-side up, on the sandwich.
Heat a pan over medium heat. Once it’s hot, place the sandwich in the pan and cook it until the bottom is golden brown. Turn it over and cook it on the other side until golden. Repeat this with the rest of the sandwiches.
Cheese: If your cheese doesn’t completely melt there are a few things you can do. Place a lid on the pan for a minute or so while the sandwich cooks. This will trap the heat so the cheese melts faster. You can also microwave the sandwich for a few seconds after you cook it to melt the cheese.
Bread: Any sturdy bread that you like for regular grilled cheese will work for this sandwich, so feel free to switch it up.
Butter: I like to use butter spread instead of regular butter. It spreads easier when it’s cold, so you don’t have to wait for the butter to soften.
Variations: You can switch out the toppings, but don’t overload the sandwich with too many toppings. Otherwise, it will be hard to hold it together, and the middle of the sandwich might not be cooked through when the bread is done.
Dipping sauces: Or, serve a dipping sauce on the side like warm marinara or creamy ranch dressing.
I really love pizza-izing dishes, so if you are looking for more ideas, be sure to check out more of my favorite recipes.
Pizza Inspired Recipes
Or if you want more sandwich ideas, you can check out my other grilled cheese creations:
- Grilled Macaroni and Cheese Sandwich
- Burrito Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Chicken Enchilada Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Pizza Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 6 slices of French bread
- 3 tbsp butter spread
- 1 1/2 cups of shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese or you can use sliced mozzarella
- 21 slices of turkey pepperoni
- 3/4 cup marinara sauce
- Spread about 1/2 tbsp butter on one side of each slice of bread.
- Spread 1/4 cup of cheese on three slices of bread, on top of the unbuttered side. Spread 7 slices of pepperoni on top of the cheese for each of the three slices. Spread 1/4 cup of marinara sauce on top of pepperoni for each of the three slices. Spread another 1/4 cup of cheese on top of the sauce. Place remaining slices of bread on top, to form sandwiches (with butter side facing up).
- Place frying pan on the stove and turn to medium heat. Once hot, carefully place one sandwich in the frying pan, cooking the bottom buttered side until golden and toasty and the cheese is melty. Then carefully flip over and cook until the other side is also toasty and cheese is melted. Repeat with remaining sandwiches. If cheese does not melt to your desired consistency, you can briefly microwave sandwich for about 10-15 seconds before eating.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.