Easy one-bowl pizza puffs made with cheese and pepperoni. These pizza puffs are a great appetizer or snack and only take 10 minutes to prep. Serve them with marinara sauce on the side for dipping!
I’ve had pepperoni pizza on my mind lately but instead of just making pizza I’ve been trying recipes with a pizza twist like pizza bread, pizza bites and these pepperoni pizza puffs I’m sharing today. I love taking a simple recipe, like muffins, and giving them a new twist and these puffs are a fun way to enjoy pizza flavors in mini muffin form.
The best part is that they’re very easy to make so they’re great as a last-minute appetizer or snack. I love the combination of pepperoni and cheese and when you dip the pizza puffs in marinara sauce, they have all the flavors of pepperoni pizza.
How to Make Pepperoni Pizza Puffs
These pizza puffs are basically savory muffins flavored with cheese, pepperoni and Italian seasoning. You only need one bowl and 10 minutes to make the batter.
- Baking powder
- Shredded cheese
- Italian seasoning
- Marinara sauce, for serving
Make the Pizza Puffs
- Combine the flour, baking powder, milk, and egg and stir until combined. There shouldn’t be any lumps of flour. Add the pepperoni and cheese and stir to combine.
- Spoon the batter into a greased mini muffin pan*, filling each about 2/3 full. Sprinkle the Italian seasoning on top. Bake the pizza puffs for 15 to 17 minutes.
- Serve them warm with marinara sauce on the side for dipping.
I imagine you could use a lot of different pizza toppings to make these pizza puffs, so here are some suggestions. Just don’t overload your batter with too many fillings otherwise the pizza puffs won’t bake properly. I think a combination of cheese plus 1/3 cup of other fillings will work best.
Pizza Puff Variations
- I used a combination of cheddar and Monterey jack cheese (1 cup total), but you could also substitute low-moisture mozzarella cheese or provolone cheese. Gruyere cheese, which is a rich and nutty-flavored cheese, would also work. You could also add grated Parmesan cheese in place of some of the other cheese.
- Instead of pepperoni, you could substitute Genoa salami, cooked and crumbled bacon, cooked Italian sausage crumbles or Canadian bacon. Just be sure whatever you add is fully cooked and cut in small pieces.
- Add some chopped black olives or pepperoncini to the batter.
- You can add vegetables, but you will need to precook them first, cool them and finely chop them before adding them to the batter. Chopped bell peppers, onions, spinach and mushrooms are some ideas.
More Pizza Recipe Ideas
Do you love pizza as much as I do? Here are a few more pizza-inspired recipes you might like to try, too.
- Microwave Pizza Bread (Low Carb, Keto)
- Cauliflower Pizza Mug Cake
- 2-Ingredient Pizza Dough
- Waffled Pepperoni Pizza Grilled Cheese
*Some of the links contained in this post are affiliate links. Much like referral codes, this means I earn a small commission if you purchase a product I referred (at no extra charge to you).
Pepperoni Pizza Puffs
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 cup shredded cheese I used cheddar and Monterey jack
- 1/3 cup pepperoni chopped into small pieces
- Italian seasoning
- marinara sauce for dipping
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a mini muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, milk, egg until batter is lump free. Stir in cheese and pepperoni bites Spoon batter into the prepared mini-muffin cups about 2/3 full. Sprinkle Italian seasoning on top.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes. Serve while warm with a side of marinara sauce for dipping.
- Recipe adapted from The Family Kitchen
- Nutrition estimate does not include the marinara dipping sauce
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.