These Waffled Pepperoni Pizza Grilled Cheese Sandwiches consist of pizza crust cooked in a waffle iron, sandwiched with mozzarella cheese, pepperoni, and a side of tomato sauce for dipping.
This is my kind of comfort food. I previously made pizza grilled cheese before and it’s still one of my favorite grilled cheese sandwiches to make. I was planning on cooking it the other day, when I got the idea for this version.
It’s even more pizza-like since we’re using pizza crust for the bread. I used Pillsbury’s thin pizza crust.
And rather than let them get super messy with tomato sauce dripping out, I decided to put the tomato sauce on the side.
Also I managed to find mini pepperoni when shopping. I don’t know why but when I see them, I always feel like I’ve won the lottery and buy several bags. They store pretty well in the freezer.
Waffled Pepperoni Pizza Grilled Cheese
- 1 can Pillsbury thin pizza crust
- about 54 mini pepperoni
- 3 slices of mozzarella cheese
- marinara sauce for dipping
- Roll out pizza crust and cut into 12 squares of about the same size. Each square should be approximately 4.5 inches x 4.5 inches. Take two squares and press together so that they become one, while still maintaining the 4.5 x 4.5 inch dimensions. Repeat with remaining until you are left with 6 squares.
- Lightly grease your waffle iron, and set to medium high heat. Place a square into the center of your waffle iron and close. Let it cook until dark golden brown and crispy. Remove and repeat with remaining squares.
- Once finished making the pizza crust waffles, place one waffle back into your waffle iron. Add a slice of cheese and place about 18 mini pepperoni on the cheese surface. Add another pizza waffle on top and then close your waffle iron. It's okay that it doesn't close all the way. Cook until cheese is melted. Repeat with remaining pizza waffles. Serve while warm with marinara sauce for dipping.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.