This pizza pull apart bread is made with homemade pizza dough, marinara sauce, pepperoni and plenty of mozzarella cheese. The mini pizza bread bakes up so that it’s easy to pull off pieces of the cheesy, savory bread. It’s a fun twist on traditional pizza.
I recently had some leftover pizza dough after making my Stuffed Pizza Bites and I thought about making a pizza pie, but made this pizza pull apart bread instead. It has all the flavors I love about pizza but in a cute pull apart bread form instead.
I’ve seen lots of ways to make pull apart bread and I’ve tried a few myself like my Breakfast Pull Apart Bread and Bacon Cheddar Pull Apart Bread, but I’d never tried making a pull apart bread with pizza dough.
I had just enough dough to make two small loaves of pizza bread and I thought I could use the same method I used to make my Pumpkin Pull Apart Bread so the baked pizza bread would have sheets of dough that would be easy to pull away from the loaf. Except instead of making dough from scratch I just used leftover pizza dough.
How to Make Pizza Pull Apart Bread
You can use your favorite pizza dough recipe or use the one I did from Simply Recipes. You will need a half batch of dough from this recipe or enough to make one pizza.
When the dough is baked you want it to look sort of like an accordion after it’s baked so it’s easy to pull pieces of the dough off. The best way to do this is to roll out your pizza dough to a ¼-inch thickness and slice it into 2-inch squares.
Top each pizza dough square with some marinara sauce, pepperoni, and shredded mozzarella cheese. You can substitute other fillings like sausage, salami, or different veggies like mushrooms and finely chopped peppers but I recommend cooking them first and letting them cool before you layer them on the dough.
Once you’ve topped all of the dough squares with the toppings carefully stack them on top of each other like you’re building a dough tower. I made two mini loaves so I had two stacks of dough squares with filling.
Once you’ve stacked your dough squares, carefully transfer the whole stack to your prepared loaf pans and lay the stack inside of it. Do this quickly so the toppings don’t fall out. Sprinkle the tops of the loaves with dried Italian seasoning.
I like to let the loaves rest for 20 minutes before I bake them at 400°F. For mini pizza pull apart loaves it will take about 20 to 25 minutes or until the tops are golden brown.
Once the pizza bread is baked let it cool a bit before serving. I just love peeling the sheets of bread away from the loaf and each has the sauce, cheese, and pepperoni baked right in. So yummy. For a different twist, you might like to try my pizza monkey bread, too.
Mini Pizza Pull Apart Bread
- 1/2 pizza dough enough for one pizza I used this recipe or you can use premade dough
- 15 slices pepperoni chopped into small pieces
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line two mini loaf pans. Roll out dough to about 1/4 inch thick. Slice dough into squares about 2-inch x 2 inches.
- For each piece of dough, spread some marinara sauce, sprinkle cheese and pepperoni on the surface of one side. Stack each piece of finished dough on top of the next vertically so that the stuffing doesn't fall out. When you are finished with one loaf, move the entire stack into the prepared pan in one move to prevent the stuffing from falling out.
- Allow dough to rest for about 20 minutes Sprinkle with Italian seasoning. Bake for about 20-25 minutes until tops are golden brown.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.