I created this recipe for “Pizza Cupcakes” a few years ago and I thought it was time for an updated post. They are really pizza muffins, flavored with mozzarella cheese, mini pepperoni and Italian seasoning. However, Mr. K called them pizza cupcakes the first time he saw them and the name stuck. I actually briefly considered letting Mr. K name all my recipes, but then I thought better of it. Speaking of things Mr. K has done, this weekend he (we) installed a new sink in the kitchen. It ended up being a much bigger ordeal than it should have been. Looking back, we could have accomplished it in about an hour. But because someone (him) did not read the instructions properly and kept ignoring vital parts provided in the box, it took quite a few tries and most of the afternoon for us to get it installed. I’ll detail all the missteps in another post. I am flabbergasted though, by why he would think that certain parts that came with the sink “weren’t necessary” and he just didn’t put them on, only to discover that they were essential. Oh well, hopefully it’s a lesson learned. In case you’re wondering, these cupcake liners I’m using are parchment cupcake liners* by Paper Chef. I’m totally in love. Muffins, cupcakes, come right off. They don’t stick at all! I’ve totally stopped using regular cupcake liners. These cupcakes are a lot of fun. They’re great for kids, a party, or maybe just for yourself because you’ve had one of those days and you need to treat yourself. If you like this recipe you might like my Pizza Bites recipe, too!
Here’s a video I made recently while remaking these for an event!
*Some of the links contained in this post are affiliate links. Much like referral codes, this means I earn a small commission if you purchase a product I referred (at no extra charge to you).
Pizza (Muffin) Cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large or extra large egg
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tbsp fat free milk note, if you use whole milk these come out a little dry
- 1/2 cup mini pepperonis
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- Additional 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese and 1/3 cup of mini pepperonis for topping
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a cupcake pan with 8 cupcake liners.
- Sift together flour, sugar, salt and baking powder in a large mixing bowl. Add in vegetable oil, egg and milk into flour mixture and stir until batter is smooth. It will be quite sticky and thick. Stir in cheese, Italian seasoning and pepperoni. Fill muffin cups about 2/3 full.
- Bake for about 15-18 minutes until muffins turn out golden and a knife inserted comes out clean. Lower oven to 350°F. Cover tops of muffins with more cheese and about 6 slices of mini pepperoni and bake for 4-5 minutes at 350°F until cheese is melted. Sprinkle some additional Italian seasoning on top if desired. Serve while warm. You can serve with a side of marinara sauce for dipping.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.