Learn how to make homemade potato chips in the microwave! This easy potato chip recipe is the fastest and easiest way to make crispy potato chips in just five minutes. Plus, you can flavor them in so many ways.
I’ve been seeing homemade potato chip recipes floating around and I think this recipe I’m sharing today is the easiest. You only need five minutes and a microwave to make them.
I’m always surprised at how many things you can make in the microwave and I love experimenting with new microwave recipes. These potato chips are definitely one of my favorites. It’s so easy and you can customize your chips with different seasoning. Plus, they’re healthier than regular potato chips.
How to Make Potato Chips in the Microwave
You only need three ingredients: russet potatoes, salt and pepper, and olive oil cooking spray.
Thinly slice the potatoes. The easiest way to do this is with a mandoline slicer, but if you don’t have one a sharp knife works, too. Slice them approximately 1/8” thin.
Pat the potato slices dry with a paper towel. Getting rid of excess moisture will make it easier to make really crispy potato chips.
Place the slices on a microwave-safe plate in an even layer. They shouldn’t be overlapping otherwise they won’t cook evenly. Depending on how many chips you’re making you may need to cook them in batches.
Spray the sliced potatoes with the cooking spray and season them with the salt and pepper.
Cook them in the microwave until they start to brown. Mine take about 5 minutes, but you may need more or less time depending on your microwave. I recommend starting at 2 minutes, check them, and then add more time until they are crispy. Thicker chips will take longer to cook.
Potato Chip Seasoning Ideas
You can use just simple salt and pepper or you can add other spices and seasonings to switch it up:
- Dried herbs like parsley, thyme, rosemary, or oregano
- Taco, chili or fajita seasoning
- Garlic powder and onion powder
- Poultry seasoning, herbs de Provence, and Italian seasoning
These are just a few ideas – look in your pantry and I bet there are other seasonings you can use!
What I love about this recipe is that it’s healthier than regular potato chips and I can make as few or as many as I want. You don’t have to fry them and you control how much salt and seasoning there is. If you like homemade potato chips you should definitely give these a try.
More Microwave Recipes
Homemade Microwave Potato Chips
- 1-2 large Russet potatoes
- salt and pepper
- olive oil spray
- Slice potatoes as thin as possible, about 1/8 inch thick or less. Dry slightly with a paper towel.
- Place potato slices on a microwave-safe plate. Make sure slices don't overlap. You may need to do these in a few batches.
- Spray potatoes with olive oil spray and sprinkle salt, pepper and other spices if you like.
- Cook in a microwave until they begin to brown. Time may vary, mine were done in about 5 minutes. You may want to start out with 2 minutes and work your way up, checking on the doneness.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.