Did you know that if you cook pizza dough in a waffle iron, it comes out tasting like Eggo waffles? That’s what I learned this weekend in the midst of a failed recipe experiment.
After making this discovery, I decided to try making some savory pizza waffles by adding pepperoni and cheese to the dough and popping it into my waffle iron. It took a little longer to cook, especially if you use a thick layer of dough, but the result was pretty tasty.
Not quite pizza, not quite waffle, but a nice hybrid taste of the two. I’m not sure what meal to serve this as, brunch or lunch or maybe dinner?
Pepperoni Pizza Waffles
- 1 can Pillsbury premade pizza dough
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup mini pepperoni
- Italian seasoning optional
- Marinara sauce for dipping
- Break dough into four pieces. Take one piece of dough, sprinkle some of the pepperoni and cheese and seasoning and use rolling pin to incorporate it into the dough, and to roll the dough out to fit the length of 1/4 of the waffle iron mold. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Turn on waffle iron, spray with pam spray and place pizza dough inside. Check doneness of dough when waffle iron light goes off. It may need to cook a little longer than the waffle iron indicates. Cook until dough turns golden and completely cooked through. Serve with marinara sauce if desired.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.