Zucchini Pizza Muffins
These zucchini pizza muffins are a healthier version of regular pizza muffins, using zucchini as the base. It’s also a fun way to eat zucchini.
I don’t know why it took me so long to get around to making these. They are delicious!
I used a similar base to my zucchini breadsticks, though the zucchini base is moist and fluffy rather than thin and chewy like a crust.
The zucchini base for the muffins is flavored with parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, mozzarella. They are then topped with more mozzarella cheese and mini pepperoni.
I’ll definitely be making these again!
Zucchini Pizza Muffins
- 3 cups firmly packed freshly shredded raw zucchini (about 2 medium zucchini)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup + 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 6 tbsp all purpose flour
- 72 mini pepperoni
- 2 tsp finely chopped parsley
- marinara sauce (optional, for dipping)
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Grease the interior of a standard 12-cup nonstick muffin pan or line them with parchment cupcake liners. Make sure you use a nonstick pan if you're baking the muffins directly in the pan, otherwise they will stick and be hard to remove. If you choose to use cupcake liners, I highly recommend sticking to parchment cupcake liners instead of regular cupcake liners because the muffins stick to the regular liners.
- Squeeze out water from shredded zucchini. Using a tea towel or several sturdy paper towels, add in 1/2 cup of zucchini into towel and wring as dry as possible. Repeat with remaining zucchini. When you are finished, you should have 2 lightly packed cups of zucchini remaining.
- Add dried zucchini to a large mixing bowl. Add in eggs, parmesan cheese, 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, Italian seasoning, and flour. Stir and mix until everything is thoroughly combined.
- Add 3 tbsp of batter into each muffin mold. You should have enough batter to fill 12. Press down on the zucchini batter in the molds, flattening and compacting it into the muffin molds.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes or until fully cooked. The muffins should be a golden brown and should sink down if you press on them. They should also easily come out in one piece from the muffin mold (you can test one by loosening the edges with a small spatula).
- Sprinkle tops of muffins with remaining mozzarella cheese. Add about 6 slices of mini pepperoni on top of each muffin. Place back into the oven and cook for 3-5 minutes or until cheese is melted and starts to bubble. Remove muffin pan from the oven. Use spatula to loosen edges of muffins to remove them from pan. Garnish muffins with parsley before serving. You can serve muffins with a marinara sauce for dipping.
All images and content are © Kirbie's Cravings.
Did you make this recipe?
Share it on instagram with the hashtag #kirbiecravings!
Some of the product links contained in this post are affiliate links. Much like referral codes, this means I earn a small commission if you purchase a product I referred (at no extra charge to you).