This easy flourless chocolate mug cakes cooks in the microwave and is only 3 ingredients. It’s also gluten-free, low carb and keto-friendly.
After creating a keto low carb peanut butter mug cake, I have been working on trying to create a chocolate one. This cake is just as quick and easy.
Size of the Mug Cake
The cake is quite rich so it is not that big. It’s about the size of a typical flourless chocolate cake or an unfrosted cupcake.
TYPE OF MUG TO USE
This cake can be made in an 8 oz microwave-safe mug. The cake will rise while cooking before sinking back down.
I recommend using a wide mug. It’s difficult to evenly cook the cake when using a tall and narrow mug.
You can also cook it in a bigger mug and then plate it in a smaller mug.
Toppings for the Cake
I do find the cake a little plain on its own, so I would recommend adding some sort of topping. Some toppings I’ve used:
- Fresh fruit
- Sugar-free chocolate syrup
- Powdered sugar substitute (like swerve)
If you want another keto mug cake be sure to check out my Keto Nutella Mug Cake, too.
3 Ingredient Keto Chocolate Mug Cake
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp + 1/2 tsp Natural Mate All Purpose Granular Stevia or sugar substitute of your choice equivalent to 2 tbsp + 1 tsp sugar
- 1 3/4 tbsp unsweetened dutch process cocoa powder
- In a microwave-safe mug that holds at least 8 oz of liquid, add all ingredients.
- Whisk with a small whisk until batter is completely smooth and egg has been fully beaten and incorporated into batter.
- Cook in the microwave at full power for about 45 seconds. I use a 1000 watt microwave. If your microwave power is less or more, please adjust cooking time and/or cooking power accordingly. Let the cake cool a few minutes before eating. Cake is best eaten warm with toppings.
- For the sugar substitute, I used Natural Mate Stevia All Purpose Natural Sweetener*
- If you have a favorite keto friendly sugar substitute, it will likely work with this recipe. Just make sure you add the equivalent of 2 tbsp + 1 tsp of sugar.
- I use a 1000 watt microwave. If your microwave power is less or more, please adjust cooking time and/or cooking power accordingly.
- The cake is best enjoyed warm as it does tend to get a little dry if left to sit for several hours.
- I do find the cake a little plain on its own, so I would recommend adding toppings. Some toppings I've used include fresh berries, sugar free chocolate syrup and powdered sugar substitute (like swerve)
- *Some of the product links contained in this post are affiliate links. Much like referral codes, this means I earn a small commission if you purchase a product I referred (at no extra charge to you).
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.
Had a sweet craving but didn’t want to hurt my keto status. Found this and oh my soon good. I added a small pinch of chili, cooked it 50 sec 1000 watt microwave. Came out awesome, like a molten chocolate cake. Topped it with a dollop of yogurt. Yummy. Thank you for sharing.
We’re so glad you enjoyed it! You should check out our other Keto Recipes – we have lots of good ones.
was having a wicked chocolate attack——like a maniac looking for a mug chocolate cake—–found yours and it had to be easy———you saved my keto diet thank you 5 star recipe
This makes our day! Thanks for letting us know.
It hit that “sweet spot”! I did add a dash of peppermint flavoring …… oh my it was sooo goood!!!
Thanks for the peppermint tip! We’re so happy you liked the recipe.
Quick, low cal chocolate craving crusher.
I’m glad you enjoyed!
I’ve made this several times, definitely a keeper! Not as good as a sugary chocolate cake, of course, but for keto or Atkins it’s great. I add a little whipped cream and sometimes walnuts depending on where I’m at in my diet/weight. I cook for a little over a minute in my 1000 watt microwave.
thank you for sharing! I’m so glad you are enjoying the recipe!
Thank you for sharing this!!!
Being Keto is challenging but you are making it easier 🙂
Aw, I’m happy these recipes are helping!
Oh my! This is exquisite! So easy, so Keto! I’m a fan!
I’m so glad you liked it!
Tried it! Yummy !!
I’m glad you liked it!