These cookies are like magic bars but in cookie form. They are easy to make and need only four ingredients. The cookies are done in less than 20 minutes including baking time. They are also easy to customize to suit your personal preferences. The cookies store well and are good for gifting or bringing to an event.
These magic cookies are a fun way to enjoy magic bars but without all the preparation. Magic bars are a fun treat because there’s usually a little something for almost everyone to enjoy. These cookies are just as tasty and you can customize them with your favorite ingredients from magic bars.
- Unsweetened coconut flakes
- Condensed milk
- Graham crackers
- Chocolate chips
Unsweetened coconut flakes: I recommend using coconut flakes instead of shredded coconut. It will give your cookies a better appearance. Shredded coconut can be used but your cookies will end up looking more like coconut macarons. I also recommend unsweetened coconut because the cookies are already quite sweet.
Condensed milk: This recipe uses full fat sweetened condensed milk. I think it should also work with coconut condensed milk if you need a dairy-free alternative, but the cookies will spread more with coconut condensed milk. Condensed milk is used to bind all the ingredients.
Graham crackers: Instead of crust made of graham crackers, this recipe adds crumbled graham crackers to the cookie dough.
Chocolate chips: You can use dark chocolate, semisweet, milk or white chocolate chips. I usually use semisweet though the ones in the pictures are made with milk chocolate chips.
Magic bars usually also contain chopped nuts, however they are optional. Since I am recipe testing for the cookie gifting, I wanted to make these nut-free as I have several family members with nut allergies. However, you can add chopped nuts to the mix if you want.
You can also customize these cookies further. If you don’t like graham crackers, you can leave them out. If you don’t like chocolate chips, you can leave them off. If you like a lot of chocolate, you can use more than one kind of chocolate. You need coconut and condensed milk to form the base for these cookies, but the rest of the ingredients are easy to customize.
What are Magic Cookies
Magic cookies are a cookie made from the ingredients used in magic bars (also known as 7-layer bars and Hello Dolly Bars). The cookies are chewy, sweet and crunchy.
How to Make Magic Cookies
Add all the ingredients into a large bowl and mix until everything is evenly combined. Use a 1/4 cup measuring cup to measure out the cookie dough. Once the dough is released onto the cookie sheet, try your best to compact the mixture so that the ingredients will bind together during baking. You also want to shape your mixture to be like a thick round cookie. The mixture will spread slightly during baking but will mainly stay the same form so shape the cookies how you want the final results to be.
The cookies are then ready to be baked. They need about 13 minutes in the oven and once they are cool, they are ready to eat.
More Fun Cookie Recipes
- 4 Ingredient Melting Moments
- 3 Ingredient Chocolate Meltaway Cookies
- 2 Ingredient Brownie Cookies
- 4 Ingredient Thumbprint Cookies
4 Ingredient Magic Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups (90 g) unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup (118ml/4oz) sweetened full fat condensed milk
- 2 sheets (31 g) graham crackers lightly crushed to pieces the size of chocolate chips (see note)
- 1 cup (160 g) chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Line a large baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- Add all ingredients to a large mixing bowl. Mix with a spatula until evenly combined and everything is evenly coated in condensed milk.
- Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, measure 1/4 cup of the cookie dough. Then pack the dough in with spatula. Turn the measuring cup upside down and shake or tap the measuring cup against the cookie sheet a few times so that the cookie mixture releases onto the cookie sheet. Repeat with remaining cookie dough, spacing each cookie at least 1 inch apart.
- Use your hands to compact the dough so that the ingredients are tightly packed. If you hands gets too sticky, wash them clean before moving onto the next cookie. Packing the dough will help ensure that everything binds together during baking. Also use your hands to shape the cookies into thick round disks. The cookies do not spread much during baking so shape the cookies how you want the final outcome to be.
- Bake cookies for about 13-15 minutes or until tops are a light golden brown. Let cookies cool fully before removing and eating.
- To crush the graham crackers, you can either crush them between your fingers or crush them with a rolling pin. You want the graham cracker pieces to be roughly the size of chocolate chips.
- I recommend using unsweetened coconut flakes for this recipe. I used Bob's Red Mill unsweetened coconut flakes. While you can make the cookies with shredded coconut, the cookies will not have the same appearance.
- These cookies can be made smaller. I have also made them using a 1.5 tbsp cookie scoop. You will need to reduce the bake time if you make them smaller.
- You can use dark, semisweet, milk or white chocolate or a mix of chocolate.
- Inspired by recipe from Kalejunkie.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.