- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- about 1 cup roughly chopped semi-sweet baking chocolate
- 7 Oreo cookies crushed + a few additional for topping
- In a large bowl of a stand mixer, add butter and sugars. Using the paddle attachment, mix on medium high speed until everything is completely mixed and becomes light and fluffy (about 1 minute).
- Add in egg and vanilla. Scrape butter mixture from sides of bowl with spatula. Mix on medium speed until egg and vanilla are completely incorporated into the butter mixture.
- In a small bowl, add flour, baking soda and salt. Whisk together. Add flour mixture to butter mixture. Turn your mixer speed to the lowest speed possible (usually it is the stir function) and mix the flour until it is only just barely completely incorporated.. Be very careful not to overmix or the cookies will be more cakey than chewy.
- Add in the 7 crushed Oreos. Keep the mixer on the lowest speed possible and mix the oreos into the batter until they are just barely evenly mixed in. This should only take a few revolutions.
Refrigerate the dough for at least 1 hour.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350°F. Line 3 large baking sheets with silicone baking mats. Using a cookie scoop, scoop 3 tbsp of dough for each cookie. Space the cookies at least 2 inches away from the edges of the baking sheet and from each other. The cookies do spread a lot so I would not bake more than 4 at a time. You can always do 1-2 for your first batch so you can see how much they spread.
- Gently flatten each of your cookie dough balls into thick round discs. Cover the surface with chopped chocolate and more crushed Oreos, pushing the pieces partially into the dough. Keep in mind the cookies will spread quite a bit so even if it seems like you're putting on a lot, it will look more evenly distributed once they spread out.
- Place baking sheet into the middle rack in the oven. Bake for about 12 minutes or until edges are light brown and middle is cooked but not quite set. Allow cookies to fully cool on baking sheet before removing. If you remove cookies before they are set, they may break. For even cooking, only bake one sheet of cookies at a time. When one batch is baking, keep the uncooked batches in the fridge so they stay chilled.